Can I Make The Cake Tomorrow, And A 'flipping The Cake' Q!

Decorating By QTsmum Updated 22 Mar 2012 , 6:59pm by CWR41

QTsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTsmum Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, soooo...I've made a few cakes for my kiddo and friends (all boys, BOO!) and finally have a chance to make a girly cake for a part on Sunday. Can I make the cake tomorrow? If I use buttercream (the Viva method) and use the jam filling recipe that has no dairy in it, can I just leave it out and it'll be ok?

I'm just worried that if something goes wrong, I'll be too tight on time to fix it, if I do it Saturday. Because something *always* goes wrong, LOL!

And also, I'm making a cake similar to this: http://sugarteachers.blogspot.ca/2009/03/how-to-make-pillow-cushion-cake-by-toni.html

How in the world do I fondant the one side and flip it without the cake crumbling to bits? My cake is going to be a bit longer than the tute's, and I'm terrified!

Any tips for my above questions or any tips at all that you think may help would be very, very much appreciated!! I'm so excited to do a girly cake, but so nervous since it's not for *my* kid!

4 replies
JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

You can absolutely make the cake tomorrow! It will be fine, just cover it (box) overnight!

I can't help with the fondant question though! Have you tried Google to look for tutorials? Good luck!

QTsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTsmum Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, all I seem to find is 'flip flop cakes', LOL! I'll have to search again when I have a bit more time!

Thanks for the reply!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 5

Certainly can do this for sure! And can sit out if not dairy filling..just cover it with something so cake don't dry out..Make sure it's covered good until you decorate it.

I wouldn't wait till last minute to do this in case a mess up..and it would less stress on you too...by taking your time.

Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTsmum

How in the world do I fondant the one side and flip it without the cake crumbling to bits? My cake is going to be a bit longer than the tute's, and I'm terrified!

Never flip it without using a support board.
Here's the Wilton tutorial Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLl5ct2QCtQ&feature=channel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%