Georgetown Cupcake Buttercream

Baking By mbrooksy Updated 25 Mar 2012 , 5:49am by scp1127

mbrooksy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbrooksy Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

Ladoes and gents

Hello from the UK.

I'm a big fan of swirling techniques - like the ones used at Georgetown Cupcake. I find this easy to do with cream cheese frosting but getting the BC to that same consistency is difficult.

I'm an experienced baker and have played around with their BC recipe and can't get the consistency anything like... It's either way to airy and whipped or too thick to swirl properly.

Any suggestions?

B x

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what recipe they use, but if it's an American style buttercream perhaps you could add some hot liquid (milk or cream) to thin it out a little and mix it on LOW speed only. Any higher than that and it will become too whipped and airy. I say hot liquid because that will soften up the mixture enough for you to pipe it, but when the icing cools a bit it will go back to its original texture. You also won't have to add as much liquid if you use it hot.

coolwater12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolwater12 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 9:20am
post #3 of 5

I like this one. It's very delicious. I hope i can get a recipe on this. icon_smile.gificon_razz.gif

Waterproof spray

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:49am
post #4 of 5

I just looked through their book and most are butter/powdered sugar.

In this case, Annie is right. Adding more milk will inch it closer to not being shelf stable. But a teaspoon or two of hot water will do the trick. You don't know how much water their butter actually has. If it is inexpensive, it may contain quite a bit more than premium butters or just butters from across the ocean, causing your problem. So just adjust until you get the consistency you want.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:49am
post #5 of 5

I just looked through their book and most are butter/powdered sugar.

In this case, Annie is right. Adding more milk will inch it closer to not being shelf stable. But a teaspoon or two of hot water will do the trick. You don't know how much water their butter actually has. If it is inexpensive, it may contain quite a bit more than premium butters or just butters from across the ocean, causing your problem. So just adjust until you get the consistency you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%