Cake Drama

Decorating By JackilynC

JackilynC Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:34am
post #1 of 1

This is not about a cake I made, it's about a cake I bought. I had been in contact with a local woman who had a really legitimate looking website and had rave reviews posted by "clients" as well as pictures of stunning cakes. I needed a cake for the baby shower I was throwing for my brother's girlfriend and she said she'd be happy to make it. When I asked about a taste test she told me that her flavors were listed on the website. I didn't want to try anything out of the ordinary with no tasting so I went with chocolate and white cake figuring that no baker would ruin that. Right? Well, the day of the shower comes and she shows up to drop off the cake. She had said it would serve 65-70 people and there was NO WAY that would happen unless I cut each piece an inch wide. Then I took a closer look at the cake, there was white powder all over the fondant, the fondant was wrinkled in a few places and even ripped in the back, and the bows looked like a five year old had made them. I just let it go and waited until cutting time, I took it back in the kitchen and used the chart she had given me to cut it. We didn't have enough for all 50 of the guests, let alone the 65-70 she'd sworn it would feed. I took a tiny piece of chocolate to taste it and literally gagged when I put it in my mouth. It tasted like a sponge dipped in cocoa powder. Literally, it was that gross. Everyone was eating it and making faces but they were polite enough not to criticize. Basically, I paid $160 for a cake that was completely disgusting and very disappointing. I didn't complain to her because I'm just a really non-confrontational person but my husband was livid. That experience was actually the reason I am on this site. My husband is buying me the stuff I need to get started and I am taking the Wilton beginners course in 2 weeks. I don't plan to open a bakery but I will be making the cakes for any future party I throw if I can learn the techniques. I have been pouring over the recipes and information on here and watching youtube tutorials for days so that I will be relatively prepared. I would much rather spend a couple hundred dollars on materials that I can use over and over than to pay that much for a nasty, unattractive cake. **Sorry for the rant.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%