Just A Little Vent....

Business By BarbaraM0809 Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 3:09pm by QTCakes1

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:56am
post #61 of 67

That bad ingredient would be MALITOL which has a laxative effect . The other one is spelled sonething like Xylinox A lady at work.said it mafe her very ill. One should never eat certain sugar subsitutes on an empty stomach.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:28am
post #62 of 67

Xylitol is the other ingredient that has a laxative effect.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 6:17am
post #63 of 67

fearlessbaker, this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to post their opinion, just a you shared yours.

I remember her talking about her Grandmother's house. Also, I have about five boxes of cake mix in my bakery. They whip up in a few minutes and provide the perfect "dummy" for practicing a new fondant or buttercream technique. Right now I have a monsterous bucket of But-R-Cream (fake from Sam's) in my bakery. The junior class left it there when they made cupcakes for their bake sale. I couldn't get anyone to take it home. Now I'm trying to give it away.

One note on quality. If you do use all off brand products, the quality is affected, especially in taste. They may not sell well against a cake made with name brand products at the same price. On the other hand, if you want to sell a scratch cake at the lowest price, this may work. Just make sure the cake is better than a box mix. Scratch made cheaply may not be as good as the box mix, making the box a better option for the market.

And by the way, I got stopped at Sam's loading that bucket of fake buttercream in my SUV. The two well dressed ladies were asking about my business because of the wrap on the back of the vehicle. I had to explain that the big bucket was for a school project, not my bakery.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Well IF that is the case, then $200 is outrageous. I don't want to spend a penny for anything that comes out of an uninspected kitchen, with pets to boot. Good luck.

Many states' cottage food laws do not require inspections. I hope you would buy something from my kitchen, which is inspected every day, by me. icon_biggrin.gif

^^^^^^ thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Having been in several commercial kitchens which have been "inspected" by the HD, I SO agree! My dh was told BY THE HD INSPECTOR when we had our restaurant that if he dropped something on the floor he could pick it up and put it in the fryer and serve it. icon_eek.gif As long as it was cooked, it would be ok.

No. Not acceptable. I think you'll find that most home kitchens are much cleaner than restaurant kitchens. And a lot of us have Safe Food Handling Practices certification. Inspected? No. Clean and safe? Definitely!

Just because your local health dept. turns a blind eye or lets you have a lot of manuvering room, doesn't mean I should be okay with ordering from an uninspected home kichen with pets. I've also been in commercial kitchens with health inspectors and they weren't quite as easy going as the one you may have came across. In my area, pets must have blocked entry ways to the kitchen and food is tested. And I am sorry, I have heard on here one too many stories of "Oh my goodness, my dog ate the cake/batter/frosting/figures/etc." Why are people so okay with pets roaming in the kitchen? icon_confused.gif Even in a home inspected kitchen with pets, I ain't ordering. But this is how I feel about it. Do as you please. thumbs_up.gif

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 12:36am
post #65 of 67

Barb your question about diabetic recipes.Google coconut sugar and flour . Also.almond meal cake recipes and low carb cake recipes.
They wont make light and fluffy cakes . They will be more dense but are very good.

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:07am
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakery2012

Barb your question about diabetic recipes.Google coconut sugar and flour . Also.almond meal cake recipes and low carb cake recipes.
They wont make light and fluffy cakes . They will be more dense but are very good.

Thanks I'll do that thumbs_up.gif

And QTCakes1 don't worry we will do as we please, have a blessed day icon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:09pm
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraM0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakery2012

Thanks I'll do that thumbs_up.gif

And QTCakes1 don't worry we will do as we please, have a blessed day icon_wink.gif

Oh, bless your heart. I wasn't worried. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%