What Can I Substitute Sour Cream With?

Baking By cakespender Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 4:32am by cakespender

cakespender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakespender Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 6

I do not have a licensed kitchen so I cant sell my awesome lemon cupcakes as they have sour cream in them. I was thinking of trying apple sauce? would I use the same amount of apple sauce as I would sour cream?
Also does anyone have a suggestion for red velvet icing that isnt cream cheese icon_sad.gif

5 replies
CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 6

hi!

Where are you that dairy use is the issue for being able to sell?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:46am
post #3 of 6

i often sub vanilla yogurt for sour cream. the same amount that the recipe calls for. you could use applesauce as well.

i use a white chocolate chip frosting for my red velvet cake/cupcakes. i can't sell cream cheese frosting (because of the law i bake under).

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 2:06am
post #4 of 6

Have you tried buttermilk?

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

If it's baked into the batter I don't see the problem...the batter has eggs too and that is ok. maybe I'm missing the point. was it in the icing or something? anyway, I subbed organic vanilla yogurt for sour cream one time and it was a disaster!! Idk if it was because it was organic or what but it was a mess...my cakes turned out horrible and crumbly and not good....

cakespender Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakespender Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

thanks ladies. In my province if you are baking out of a non licensed kitchen you may NOT use sour cream/yogurt/cream cheese in your cupcakes as it bumps them into the high risk food category. I have perfected my Lemon and red velvet but of course they have no no ingredients and have to go back to the drawing board. Apple sauce or pudding is allowed so maybe I will attempt them. Or I could look into renting a licensed kitchen and do a huge baking day and freeze. Ugh, I don't get how having a separate fridge/stove/sink suddenly makes cream cheese safer to sell? Sometimes the government regs are truly silly.
I just took my Market Safe and FoodSafe course so I am fully aware of how to keep my customers safe. Just frustrated with the red tape alittle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%