Client To Transport Tiered Cake!?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 2:33pm by AZCouture

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 3

I have a client who is traveling 1.5 hours to her destination, with a 3-tiered wedding style cake (for a 50th anniversary). I am usually pretty good at support, but I'm not sure how to instruct her to transport or how I can make it more user friendly and safe for her! So I have two questions:

(1) I always use cardboard rounds under each tier, with 5-6 dowels per lower tier, then one long sharpened wooden dowel driven through the center of the entire height, and into the cake board base. Anything different in this case? Then, for transport, I typically place an "unboxable" cake in a low storage bin to prevent sliding, and if I'm by myself, I put it on the front seat and drive really slowly, LOL! I need to make this more easy for her. Any tips!?

and (2) The cake will be: 3-4 layers of 12" round on bottom, 3-4 layers of 10" round middle, and 3-4 layers 6" round top, red velvet scratch, IMBC filling, either **[white chocolate ganache coat with homemade MMF and RI scroll and details]** or **[IMBC finish with IMBC scroll and details]** with handmade MMF roses. What would you finish with in this situation with the client transporting and probably no way to refrigerate along the way?

THANKS!!!

2 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 3

if you had a cake safe it would be fine. But Use foam core instead of cardboard its sturdier. Make sure you center dowel it and its in a place in the car where its level. Then tell them to put an egg in some Easter grass ( not hard boiled) on their dash board and drive carefully Keeping the egg safe will keep the cake safe!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Keeping the egg safe will keep the cake safe!

icon_biggrin.gif That's a good one, I'll have to remember that! I tell people to pretend there's a glass of water that they need to keep full. No sharp turns, no jackrabbit starts, slow over bumps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%