Royal Icing Issues

Baking By New-Baker Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 10:48am by New-Baker

New-Baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
New-Baker Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so I just had my 2nd go at icing cookies/biscuits and it was worse than the first time.

I made the icing in advance (as advised) and left it to sit with clingfilm on the surface to stop it crusting over (as advised). I saw lots of bubbles on the surface, but pulling the clingfilm off seemed to pop them all. So I slowly spooned some of it into my icing bag and got to work.

But then minutes later I was popping bubbles with a toothpick and missed quite a few.

Doing it this way seemed to produce more bubbles than my first attempt, where I just made the icing and used it straight away.

Confused! icon_sad.gif

6 replies
New-Baker Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 7

Just wanted to add: Although the icing wasn't easy to work with. It wasn't easy to get the right consistency.

But I've kept them in a cold oven, no fan or light or anything, and they've dried really well. My last lot took 24 hours to be this firm, but it's only taken 5 hours today.

Very odd

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 7

The humidity affects the drying time so perhaps that's why it took so long last time.

Are you lifting your tip out of the icing while squeezing your bag? Bury the tip and keep it in the icing until you're done.

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not sure what you problem is...is it consistency or air bubbles? BC if itsnari bubbles you could always paddle your icing on a surface. that's one way to remove air from icing. U use a spatula to spread your royal like you were icing a cake to pop air bubbles and then you immediately scap it back up to use.

New-Baker Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:12am
post #5 of 7

The problem is the air bubbles.

I tried to make an outline and flood it. The flooding seems to be ok - I managed to pop any bubbles. But the outline is full of bubbles despite me trying to pop any I saw.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 7

What are you using to mix your Royal Icing with?

If you are using the whip attachment on the Kitchen Aid, that's probably why you're getting so many air bubbles. You should be using the paddle, and no speed higher than "stir" (the first notch on the speed selector). It should mix for approx 10min or so before it is done.

Good luck!
~Chelle

New-Baker Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 10:48am
post #7 of 7

I'm using a spatula and mixing royal icing sugar with water by hand. I try to not over mix it and I use gel to colour, so no extra liquid or air is introduced.

I let it sit for 2 hours with cling film on the surface. I popped all the surface bubbles by removing the cling film.

I then make my cling film plugs and use a piping bag.

But previously when I skipped the wait and used it straight away, I had bubbles, but less bubbles than waiting!

Thats why I'm so confused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%