How Do I Make A Ball Shaped Cake Without It Collapsing?

Decorating By AlliCole1 Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 7:54pm by AnnieBeeVee

AlliCole1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlliCole1 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 12:39am
post #1 of 5

I have to make a honey pot cake for my daughters 5th birthday (winnie the pooh), It doesn't need to be very large as i am making cupcakes as well, but I dont know how to make a 3d ball cake without the bottom collapsing in on itself. I plan on getting the wilton ball cake pan, and carving it into the shape of a honey pot, i'm assuming since i've seen so many ball shaped cakes that it's not THAT difficult, but i'm terrified that the day will come and it will all fall apart! How should i go about this? Is it true that if the cake is completely cool it will be fine? Should i freeze the cake prior to frosting/assembly? I'm assuming cake dowels would be helpful? I have a recipe for a pretty dense vanilla cake that i plan on using, and i don't want to cover it in fondant, just frost with BC.
Any advice would be helpful!
thanks!

4 replies
miwhitern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miwhitern Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 10:54am
post #2 of 5

I have done a bomb cake for a spy birthday party recently using the wilton soccer ball pan twice. Just be sure to use a dense cake for carving and it should hold up nicely. I had intended on using dowels to hold up the top half but ended up forgetting. icon_redface.gif Thankfully it turned out well anyway. I kept it chilled after icing it with buttercream until it was picked up. It held up nicely. Next time I would remember to use dowels and a board for peace of mind.

AlliCole1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlliCole1 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 5

Should i use a cake board between the two halves of the circle as well?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 5

I've been using the ball pan for almost 20 years. The bottom won't collapse and you won't need any support other than a cake board on the bottom. I'm sure there are long-winded explanations out there having to do with the physics of the sphere shape, but the upshot is that it will support itself just fine. Just make sure that your halves are lined up as top and bottom - - don't tilt them or they won't stay together. I put a dowel through it, but it's never been really necessary. HTH

AnnieBeeVee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieBeeVee Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 5

I just used the ball pan for the first time just a few days ago for an angry bird cake. I filled with BC, and covered with fondant. No dowel, no cake board in the middle, it work fine. I did trim a small bit off the bottom of the bottom cake, and cut a small circle of cake board (I drew around a glass) to sit the whole thing on. I used my normal buttermilk vanilla cake which is a little dense, and everything turned out perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%