Help! Modeling Chocolate Color Fading???

Decorating By ybeal Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 11:51am by ybeal

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

I'm working on a cake for friday and have a big chair made out of RKT and covered in pink modeling chocolate (choc. was white and I colored it) - came home today and the color on one side is fading! What can I do? Guess I left it to close to a window but not sure how to fix it. Should I paint the whole chair? Don't really want to.... What about luster dust over top? Not sure about that either, every time I use dust I think it doesn't look right.

Sigh...any ideas?!?!

5 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 6

Dusting will help. Keep it in the dark once you are done. Next time you colour something pink or purple add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate. It will help to keep the colour from fading.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 6

Are you able to peel it off and re cover it?
If not, what about doing a second, thinner layer?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:19am
post #4 of 6

There's a non-fade purple and non-fade pink on the market that I really love. I would airbrush it. If you go to any large craft store, their cake decorating department usually has a few cans of airbrush spray, Duff's and Wiltons.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 4:04am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Dusting will help. Keep it in the dark once you are done. Next time you colour something pink or purple add 1 tsp baking soda per pound of fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate. It will help to keep the colour from fading.

thanks for the tip! i hope this works with blue as well icon_wink.gif

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips....I guess I will dust it and hope for the best. I had already finished the piece before the fading started so air brushing isn't really an option as my main figure (sully from monsters inc.) is already sitting in the chair icon_smile.gif

I'm so disappointed this happened because I was really happy with how it looked originally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%