Can Pure Confectioner's Glaze Be Consumed?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 3:50am by auzzi

Dreme Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

In the past for a dummy cake design I have used confectioner's glaze to make jewels look more realistic. Now its time to do them on a consumable cake. Can I still use the pure conectioner's glaze (not thinned down with the thinner) on the jewels to get the same look on a cake that is to be consumed? Is there a way to give dark gumpaste sapphires or garnet gems a high shine that is edible if not with the glaze? On cakes that are heavily jeweled or detailed are they just cut through or are they picked off before serving?

5 replies
merry Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 6

I have used CK Confectioner's Glaze for gumpaste leaves. The product said non-toxic. I also have an edible recipe, but never had the need to use it yet.

50% corn syrup and 50% vodka.

Dreme Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:47am
post #3 of 6

I have used the glaze for the leaves too. It does give it a realistic look. I will try the mixture, thanks.

crumbcake Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 2:58am
post #4 of 6

This post caught my eye because I don't know much about the glaze, Can you tell me a bit more how it is used? When I make a dummy cake can I airbrush it on to coat the dummy so it is easier to keep clean.

Dreme Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:06am
post #5 of 6

Hmm I never thought of that. I'm assuming that it would give the dummy cake a gloss or matte finish depending on the strength that is used (mixed with thinner). So far I have only used it to make leaves and other items look more realistic for my dummy cakes and for foliage on real cakes, but I have yet to use it for anything else.

auzzi Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:50am
post #6 of 6

It is food-grade, non-toxic, inedible shellac. FDA rates it as "generally recognized as safe" [GRAS].

Quote by @%username% on %date%