Upcoming Home Inspection In Pa...help!!

Business By sweetbeginningspops Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 1:31am by SnLSweetEscapes

sweetbeginningspops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbeginningspops Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!! I am brand new to this site and actually found it while googling! I am starting a Cake POP business is Carbon County Pa and just called to apply for state licensing (i suppose thats what it is no one actually told me) Obviously I will have to schedule a home kitchen inspection.....and their lies my fears! I am naturally a germ a phobe so my kitchen is already sanitized clean and I work in a restaurant so I know all the food saftey things but our kitchen is really old and in need of much repair and we just havent had the funds to do so. My major concern is that we have a carpeted kitch (not sure who in their right ming carpets a kitchen ) but it was that way before we moved in and there is no way to replace it until we can afford new cabinets. Also we had a leak in piping above the kitchen and part of the ceiling needed to be cut into to replace piping. Does anyone know if his will affect my chances! I have a lot of cabinet space (for seperation) all brand new appliances...I just have an ugly clean kitchen....

2 replies
cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:29am
post #2 of 3

Hello,

I think the carpet may be an issue. I know that all surfaces must be cleanable.
Can you call and find out what what the requirements are to pass an inspection?

Good luck!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

I would ask your Department of Health. It varies from state to state. In NY I had to build a completely seperate kitchen, with everything completely seperate from personal use. Everything must be washable (floors and walls) plus a 3 bay sink, etc. I remember when I was first looking into it, the Department of Health gave me a booklet with the regulations listed. Plus here things change with internet sales and wholesales.
I am guessing that the carpet is a no and they will look at exposed piping too. Not sure if the hole in the ceiling is still exposed but that will be a no no too. Anything that could possibly contaminate the food is going to get you in trouble.
I know this didn't help much but I would try to do a search on what you need for PA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%