...get Clean Edges On My Fondant?

Decorating By myxstorie Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 4:24pm by FlourPots

myxstorie Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 11

Me again!

No matter how I cut it (with a sharp knife, pizza wheel, metal cutter, plastic cutter, etc) I always have a tiny, jagged edge on my fondant. Is this normal, and if so, what are your preferred methods for smoothing? I find in the time I spend smoothing the edges down, the fondant starts to firm up, and it still doesn't look as clean as I'd like. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just something only practice will fix?

10 replies
LisaPeps Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 11

I put my fondant on, smooth it and trim. I then lift it onto a smaller inverted pan or something to raise it off the table, then trim it with a knife close to the board. Hard to explain lol...

myxstorie Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 11

That makes sense! Though to be honest I was talking more about fondant accents and decorations, and smoothing the edges of them. For example, when I cut shapes, stripes, etc out of fondant, I get tiny little jagged edges every time, whether I use a knife, pizza wheel, plunger cutter, and so on >_<

FlourPots Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

Have you tried an x-acto knife?
It's razor sharp...and you can stock up on extra blades for a few bucks.
I use a brand new blade at the start of any new project.

When using any kind of cutter, after pressing it down on the fondant and before lifting it, I sweep it back and forth on my hard work surface, that really helps clean up the edge, or you can lift the cutter up (with the fondant shape still in there) and run your finger along the edge.

I've also used my favorite tool before (the spatula side) http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Scraper-Boo-Boo-Stick_p_607.html

I like a clean look, so I use whatever method will get me there.

myxstorie Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 11

I'd actually NEVER thought of using a craft knife! And that little stick looks pretty awesome too, and so cheap too icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for the suggestions, I'll definitely try them out!

FlourPots Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 11

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

I LOVE that stick!
It's so handy, I cannot tell you the number of things I've used it on.

(I have 2, but I need to get a few more since I'm so afraid they'll be discontinued someday, and no other place sells them!)

Apti Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

That makes sense! Though to be honest I was talking more about fondant accents and decorations, and smoothing the edges of them. For example, when I cut shapes, stripes, etc out of fondant, I get tiny little jagged edges every time, whether I use a knife, pizza wheel, plunger cutter, and so on >_<

Stripes are tough, but for anything cut with a cutter, I use the tip of my finger or thumb to go over the lines of the cutter and THEN pop it out of the cutter.

Rosie2 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 11

I always have the same problem with my edges icon_sad.gif and I love Myxstorie's comment about using a brand new blade for every project.
I am literally running to the store this very moment to get me a new set of blades for my x-acto knife icon_smile.gif

Thanks a million Myxstorie!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

myxstorie Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the help, guys!

Rosie, it was FlourAddict who mentioned the blades icon_biggrin.gif Great stuff!

Rosie2 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxstorie

Thank you for the help, guys!

Rosie, it was FlourAddict who mentioned the blades icon_biggrin.gif Great stuff!

Ahhhh, thank you Myxtorie, for the correction!!

FlourPots, thank you for the excellent tip on the x-acto blades and please forgive me for the mistake on your name icon_redface.gif

FlourPots Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 11

LOL no problem on the name, and I'm glad the tip was helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%