Buying A Cake Airbrush

Decorating By dahuns Updated 20 Mar 2012 , 2:28am by LisaBerczel

dahuns Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am thinking about buying a cake airbrush. I was looking at the Grex TG3 or the Grex TS3. I didn't know whether to go with a side feed airbrush or top feed airbrush. Does anyone have either one of these? If so, is it easy to figure out how to use it for someone that has never used one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3 replies
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 4

I have a Paasche top/bottom feed. I think all models of airbrush have quite a learning curve. Unless you're like me and just wildly spray uniform color on everything . . .

cheatize Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 12:27am
post #3 of 4

Ha, ha! That's pretty much my plan when I get one, Leah. I may even paint the neighbor's fence for kicks.

LisaBerczel Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

I use both the Tritium Top and Side feed airbrushes. I also distribute for Grex at select shows.

So.... with full disclosure overwith....

Top feed airbrushes are the "go to" for detail work while Side feed (and bottom feed) airbrushes are the "go to" for larger coverage. Yes, each style will have a considerable overlap - you can cover a multi tier cake with a Top feed. Yes, you can do detail work with a side or bottom feed. But at a certain point you will be pushing a specific tool past it's optimal operation design.

The Tritium trigger style airbrush is a premium product and priced accordingly. Among the several features that separate it from a traditional airbrush configuration, the trigger style is more of an "automatic transmission" approach while the traditional airbrush is more like a "manual transmission with a clutch". With no experience, the Trigger style can be easier to learn as a result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%