How Do You Think This Writing Is Done, Marker Or Ri?

Decorating By mommytocjnalexis Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 2:10am by KarolynAndrea

mommytocjnalexis Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on a baby shower cake based on a picture a friend found on the internet and I have everything figured out but I'm stumped the best way to do the writing part. My plan is to do a fondant oval and at first I thought I'd do the writing with edible marker but I never seem to have good luck with those and my handwriting sucks. So I thought maybe I'd trying to do a RI transfer or using the piping gel trick to imprint the font on the fondant and pipe with RI on it. What do you think they did in this picture and what do you think would be the best approach?


6 replies
KarolynAndrea Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 7

I would use black piping gel. Those markers stink!

kendra_83 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

I would print it out on edible image. If you don't have your own printer, you could type and print it out in whatever font you like, take it to your local supermarket bakery and have them print it out for you. It would be much easier!

mommytocjnalexis Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you ladies!

KarolynAndrea - Would you just pipe right on the fondant? I've never used black piping gel before. My thought originally was to use clear piping gel, writing on wax paper and transfer that to the fondant and go over it with black RI. Do you think piping gel would be better and would I do it the same way as the transfer method? I apologize, I'm still a rookie. icon_redface.gif

kendra_83 - I didn't even know that was an option! I did a bit of google searching and I'm going to call my local supermarket to see if they will do this. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm still not sure what route to go for sure so any additional thoughts feel free to throw my way! You ladies have been such an awesome help!

carmijok Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 7

The markers work fine as long as you use the right kind. I use Americolor Gel markers with the thin tip. The thicker ones produce writing that's way too wide for something like this. And I would use gum paste that's dried and not fondant to write on.

I've tried to use piping gel to write with but it spreads out too much for me, IMO. You can find just the black markers on so you don't have to buy an entire color package of markers. HTH!

mommytocjnalexis Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 7

carmijok - Thanks for the advice, that is very helpful! I haven't tried the Americolor markers yet but I'm going to give them a try. I never seem to have good luck with gumpaste (it always get dry and brittle on me), do you think that would be better than fondant for holding the writing better?

I'm going to spend this week testing out these tips ladies, thank you all, you rock! And I'm seriously considering buying a printer and doing edible images, I hadn't realized how cheap they were now!

KarolynAndrea Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:10am
post #7 of 7

Do the piping gel transfer except use black instead of clear and trace it with black.
That's what I do with a lot of my writing.
I actually never thought of doing it with clear until I saw someone post about that a few weeks ago!

Quote by @%username% on %date%