How Do I Make A Large Cake Board

Decorating By azizanicole Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 8:29pm by grandmomof1

azizanicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizanicole Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 8:43am
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake that is 20"x5" and wondering how i could make a food frade cake baord for the novelty cake myself as i know the cake supplier i use does not have anything that large.
I have watched cakeboss and seen that that they use mdf as the base for some of their cakes but what seal do they out on it to make it safe for the cake??

Any ideas?
Thanks vey much for the help!

6 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:59am
post #2 of 7

I think they make a food grade polyurethane you can use or you can also buy shrink wrap that is food grade quality. If you use polyurethane make sure you do it ahead of time so any of the oders with dissapate.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 11:21am
post #3 of 7

You can get a regular piece of solid wood in decent dimensions that will be food-safe(Think pizza peels and wooden utensils and cutting boards). I would go that route instead. Easier, better, healthier. Home Depot and Lowe's will take care of that. Should be well under $10.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 11:46am
post #4 of 7

Bare wood is food safe - polyurethane is NOT! Even dry, I would not put a cake on a poly'd board! Cut your wood, cover it in a decorative foil (or not) and put your cake on it.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

I would be careful about putting cake on bare wood from a home improvement store. Some of that wood has chemicals, and at the very least it has been sitting out in the warehouse/store. Cover it with fondant, freezer paper or cake foil.

If you don't need the strength of the wood board, you could use foam core - usually $2.99 for 1/4" thick and $6.99 for 1/2" thick. I've used the 1/2" to hold large fondant covered tiered cakes and they are plenty strong enough.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7

When you go to the store, you can get a solid piece of pine that is nothing but wood. All safe. Yes most stores also sell treated wood. It is clearly labeled. The people there will guide you and cut it for you. Probably free of charge. Plain old pine is probably safer than any other item there. BTW - the surface is easily refreshed with a piece of sandpaper if necessary. If you get a chance to look you will have options now and in the future. Good luck.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 7

Be overly safe. If you use wood, cover it with foil or something. Even though the wood is generally safe in itself, these warehouses do spray for bugs and such plus, rodents and roaches do roam, so at the least wash/wipe the board good and cover it with foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%