Wedding Cake Vent!! (Long)

Decorating By debidehm Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 3:17pm by debidehm

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 4:38am
post #1 of 6

Not really my vent, but a vent for a fellow decorator. This is the about the friend who's making the wedding cake that I had questions on about the star-gazer lilies. Well anyway, she's making this cake for her cousin, and has been in contact about the cake with her Aunt. The Aunt had sent my friend a pic of the cake she wants, and wants it EXACTLY like the picture. No problem. My friend quotes her a price for a 4 tier, fondant and lace covered cake (which is what the picture shows. The flowers will be provided for by the Aunt).

"Well that's too much money" the Aunt says. (Believe me...it's not. In fact it's not enough, but my friend wants to give her a deal because she's family). I will admit this is my friends first wedding cake, but has done several other cakes, and I think that the Aunt is trying to get the lowest price she can out of her based on this. My friend is pulling her hair out, calling me saying "She wants this, she wants that. This is too much, that's too much", and this has been going on for over two weeks now!

My advice to my friend was this. Ask your Aunt what her budget is. If you can do what she wants for that price, do it. If you can't, just tell your Aunt sorry, but you can't. I told her that sometimes you just have to do that with family. Some think they should be entitled to either a free cake, or a decked out cake for what they would spend at the supermarket. The "hidden costs" are never considered by anyone but the one actually doing the cake! Ahhh the joys of cake decorating!!

5 replies
RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 5:00am
post #2 of 6

I agree, your friend should follow your advice. It's hard letting relatives & friends down, but she has to if it the order will only cause her unnecessary stress and sleepless nights. I've learned my lesson the hard way. So she should really really take your advice. Just let her read all the horror stories here on CC if you can't convince her , lol

debidehm Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 5:13am
post #3 of 6

I've told her about this site, but not sure if she's even had a chance to check it out. I know how she feels though, sometimes setting family straight without any hurt feelings is kind of tough, but if she doesn't stick to her guns, the rest of the family will expect great cakes for little money.

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:12am
post #4 of 6

yeah, it is very tough to say no to family and friends, and you are absolutely correct, they'll keep expecting almost free cakes from her everytime there's an occasion or something. that's what kept happening to me, well, at least until I put my foot down and learned to say no, this is my price, take or leave it.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:40am
post #5 of 6

Tell the aunt to shop around cake shops to get quotes, she'll then see what a steal she is getting.

debidehm Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 6

That's what I said too Lisa. If she thinks the price for the cake my friend quoted her was high, wait till she sees what she would have to pay full price! I think that would hush her up real quick![/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%