Ugh! Another Trademark/copyright Question

Business By brenda549 Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 8:55pm by heartsnsync

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 12:01am
post #1 of 4

I have a client that has inquired about a car cake. I know the names and logos are trademarked. What about the shapes of the cars themselves? I have been searching online and find it difficult to weed through all the sites to find what I need.

I have not replied to her online inquiry yet. I would prefer to know before contacting her.

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 1:35am
post #2 of 4

I think (but I'm not the expert) that the shapes would be fine. Just no eyeballs and stickers, etc...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 2:49am
post #3 of 4

The designs of cars are copyrighted (there is a ton of expensive R&D involved shaping exteriors for both aesthetic and performance reasons) but I doubt a cake will be able to reproduce the intricacies of the design in great enough detail to be infringing.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 4

I recently had to go through the copyright issue regarding completing an officially sanctioned NASCAR cake for a local racing company. What I was able to determine was that the general shape of the car was acceptable as long as no copyrighted logos or make specific designs were included. This worked out fine for me because the NASCAR was specifically modified for this racing company. Therefore, it meant I could copy specifically the design elements that had been customized for them. However, I had to leave off all of the corporate logos and anything else that was copyright protected except for the two companies that own the car and who provided me with permission. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%