Diabetic Cake Request?

Baking By poostan Updated 20 Mar 2012 , 8:06pm by poostan

poostan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poostan Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 4

Ive had a request for a diabetic cake which ive never done before
i dont think the actual cake will be a problem as ive found several recipes, but i dont know how im going to decorate? i usually use a buttercream crumb coat then fondant and im completely stuck on alternatives!

any suggestions i would really appreciate!

3 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 4

I am no means a diabetic recipe expert and that's why I wouldn't even try, but I did work with diabetics at a hospital for many years. The best thing I can suggest is making a meringue buttercream using splenda. But here is the thing, there is still butter in it and you will still have to find outt heir carb exhange. I am pretty sure the butter will shoot out their carb exchange points allowed. You can try a meringue butter cream with splenda and high ration shortening, but like I said, not a recipe expert, so not sure if splenda and high ratio shortening will even work. But for diabetics, it's all about the carb exchanges. Find out the carbs in a slice of your cake and let them know and they can go from there how they can fit it into their diet.

eava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eava Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 1:01am
post #3 of 4

Stabilized whipped cream sweetened with a stevia product? Probably the lowest calorie way to frost something. Truvia is fantastic. You could also do swiss meringue, don't take it to the next level and turn it into nuttercream, just go with straight meringue. You can pipe meringue roses and bake them for decorations.

poostan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poostan Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 4

thanks alot for your suggestions! i will definitely look into it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%