How Do I Make A Zipper?

Decorating By wowgirl Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 12:24pm by FlourPots

wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of purse cakes with zippers and I wondered how to make one of them. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really like to hear them. Thank you

6 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

Global sugar art.com has silicone zipper molds. Go onto the site and type in 'zipper mold'

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 3:55am
post #3 of 7

I have done it two ways. I got a zipper from the fabric store and pressed it into gumpaste and then let it dry so I had a mold. Then I pressed my fondant in it, had to put a little cornstarch in it so it wouldn't stick but came out perfect. I have also when in a hurry just rolled out fondant and pressed the zipper into it and then just cut it out, walla a zipper! It's actually a reverse image but looks fine.

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

I have done it two ways. I got a zipper from the fabric store and pressed it into gumpaste and then let it dry so I had a mold. Then I pressed my fondant in it, had to put a little cornstarch in it so it wouldn't stick but came out perfect. I have also when in a hurry just rolled out fondant and pressed the zipper into it and then just cut it out, walla a zipper! It's actually a reverse image but looks fine.

Nice tips. Thanks. I was going to use silicone but this gumpaste mold sounds great too!

wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 9:33am
post #5 of 7

thank you so much for all your help I will definately try the gum paste mold as time is a factor in ordering a mold. thanks again

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 7

I make them free hand. It's actually really easy. Make a small rope, flatten it out then use the little white Wilton tool that has 3 cutting heads (sorry not sure of the name) - one is a zig zag which makes a great zipper look. Then using rectangles, ovals and another rope piece I build the zipper piece. Takes about 5 minutes but comes out great every time and doesn't cost anything icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

I have also when in a hurry just rolled out fondant and pressed the zipper into it and then just cut it out, walla a zipper! It's actually a reverse image but looks fine.

I did this before and it worked great...you can see it here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1557011/leopard-tote-bag?sub=1557015

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%