Does Anybody Actually Eat The Rkt?

Decorating By nursingnellie Updated 17 Mar 2012 , 8:18pm by auntginn

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 6:22am
post #1 of 6

I usually take the time to search and search again, but I promised my dh wouldn't spend the hours on CC that I usually do, so I'm jumping right to the point today.

I'm about to attempt my first use of RKT in a cake, and wanted to decide how much flavor should play a part versus structural integrity.. I LOVE "normal" RKT...what are the drawbacks to using the standard recipe unaltered?

OR, how do the "sculpting" recipes taste? Do the RKT usually get eaten after the cake is dismantled?

btw, the RKT are to be used for the legs of a 3D R2-D2 cake...only 6" round, so not very much at all. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 6:43am
post #2 of 6

Yes, they really do eat it. I just make the generic recipe for my cakes. A few years back I use it for the entire upper torso of a maniquin to make those large dress cakes that were fashionable at the time. The cake was for a wedding, and the guest not only asked for a piece of cake, they also wanted the rkt with their slice of cake as well.

Go figure.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 7:01am
post #3 of 6

Yeppers, they eat mine, too. I add a bit more cereal to it. Occasionally, I'll crush some of the cereal to make it stronger. I once tried crushing all of the cereal and it was way too dense to eat.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 7:25am
post #4 of 6

Yay! That makes me very happy, I'm so glad I can use the old standby, and that way it will probably get eaten as well. Thank you so much! Any tips on working with the RKT?

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 6

You better believe some people will eat RKT pieces...my Jabba the hut cake..poor Jabba was torn in half and consumed before the cake. When I have worked with RKT, put a little shortning on your hands to keep it from sticking to you....compress the RKT as much as possible and now that it is getting warmer you canalways put your sculpture in the freezer for about ten to firm up before you cover it with royal/melted chocolate/ fondant...what ever your medium of choice. I cover mine with royal before covering it with a mix of fondant and modeling chocolate....hope this helps icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

The rkt does need to be denser than the rkt bars so it will hold up to the scupting. I make mine at least 24hrs before but in a rush order overnite will do. I use bc on mine, I crumb coat frist, stick in fridge for about 1/2 hr, then another thin coating to make it smooth. stick in fridge again to chill so I can smooth the shape out before applying fondant. However, if I am not using fondant than the second coating is applied like I am icing a cake.

Sorry if I rambled on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%