Alcohol Flavor

Decorating By Sweet-Inspirations Updated 17 Mar 2012 , 5:35am by scp1127

Sweet-Inspirations Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys,

I made 2 types of icing with alcohol in them.

the first: a whipped whiskey icing
the second: a bailey's buttercream

The more I whipped/beat the icing, the more the flavor seemed to... disppear.

I found that odd. I know when baking alcohol, the alcohol itself evaporates and only the flavor is left in the cake, but in the case of frostings, I just added the alcohol directly to it and found that very strange.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? If so, how would I go about keeping all of the flavor?

thanks

8 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe because when you whip air into it , it gets distributed in a larger volume. Maybe whip the frosting almost completely then add the alcohol and whip again. What kind of frosting recipe are you using, american buttercream , meringue buttercream, whipped icings?

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

The best way to get an alcohol flavor into a cake is to make a syrup, add the alcohol, and brush it over the cake.

When I add alcohol to icing, I can still taste it, but the icing does seem to crust faster.

Reyna Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

Just recently did alcohol cupcakes, Coffee flavored Patron, Tequila Rose, Jager..... YUUMM I even baked a cupcake with the CAKE flavored vodka and could taste it!!.
I feell the more I beat the icing the sweeter it gets??
It don't answer your question but you need to try the tequila rose! delicious!~

DeniseNH Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 9

I agree, I've tried baking alcohol into cakes only to have the flavor disappear. Now I bake a regular cake then pour the brandy over the cake. For best alcohol flavor in icings I would use an extract. There's some on the market like Irish Creme, Champagne, Rum, Etc. They're concentrated and therefore intensified.

Sweet-Inspirations Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

When I add alcohol to icing, but the icing does seem to crust faster.

I've noticed that too.

At the very end I decided to stop beating the icing and just ''fold'' the bailey's into it. now it's about a day-old cupcake and the flavor is barely there anymore! go figure!

Sweet-Inspirations Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

best alcohol flavor in icings I would use an extract.

the only problem with that is that I haven't seen any alcohol flavored extracts in my area except for brandy icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 9

You can get rum flavoring too...I buy Lorann's rum emulsion at Ross for $3 but they have rum extracts in the grocery store too.

scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:35am
post #9 of 9

If you look at my site, you will see that I do a large amount of baking with alcohol.

In buttercream, I'll use IMBC for an example, the spirit or liqueur does not disappear or weaken. Two things happen. First, you are tasting before you have emulsified the liqueur fully. Second, the flavors of the butter, meringue, vanilla, and the liqueur meld together after several hours, producing a different, final taste.

In IMBC, my recipe will accept a heaping tbsp of liqueur to every stick of butter. So for one 9" cake, I have about 6 to 7 tbsp of Bailey's in the buttercream and it is incredible. That is almost 1/2 cup.

If you want a stronger taste than the buttercream will accept in liquid form, reduce it first.

I do use spirits in batter. Makers Mark and Hennessy bring great flavors to baked goods. My strawberry champagne cake is one of my personal favorites. My fruitcake from Dec 6th is still going strong.

I use simple syrup taken to confection form to add alcohol. I never pour simple syrup used for beveridges on my cakes. It's too runny and acts like water. Mine is more the consistency of corn syrup.

Brushing liqueurs onto cut sides of cake layers is another way to infuse alcohol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%