Dulce De Leche Under Fondant?

Decorating By karukaru Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 5:12pm by karukaru

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!
I need to make a vanilla rum cake with dulce de leche filling in one week and I was wondering if I can use dulce de leche instead of buttercream under the fondant? If so, do you think I will get bulging from the sides of the cake? I always put a ring of stiff buttercream in between layers, prior to filling the cakes, to hold the filling so I usually never have issues with bulging. I don't want to make buttercream, unless I have to of course, because i'm not too happy with the recipe I use anymore. If I have to do the buttercream, then I will mix it with dulce de leche to give it a better flavor. Any suggestions? Thanks!

7 replies
karukaru Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 8

Bump icon_smile.gif

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

hope i can help you here a little bit.. i have filled my cake with dulce de leche before but i put a dam of chocolate ganache and also iced my cake in ganache and then covered it in fondant.. didnt have any bulging problem.. hope that helped a little

karukaru Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem2131

hope i can help you here a little bit.. i have filled my cake with dulce de leche before but i put a dam of chocolate ganache and also iced my cake in ganache and then covered it in fondant.. didnt have any bulging problem.. hope that helped a little

Thanks! I'm hoping I won't have to do the dam of Buttercream or cover it in Buttercream (I haven't had any bulging problems with it like this.) If not, I guess I'll have to do it and mix the dulce de leche with the Buttercream so that it tastes better.

jem2131 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karukaru

Quote:

Thanks! I'm hoping I won't have to do the dam of Buttercream or cover it in Buttercream (I haven't had any bulging problems with it like this.) If not, I guess I'll have to do it and mix the dulce de leche with the Buttercream so that it tastes better.

but don't you need to at least crumb coat your cake before applying fondant ? i don't think crumb coating with dulce de leche is going to work.. its like a caramel sauce.. hope someone else jumps in that can help you out.. like i said when i did it i used ganache as a dam and i iced it then covered it in fondant.

karukaru Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

but don't you need to at least crumb coat your cake before applying fondant ? i don't think crumb coating with dulce de leche is going to work.. its like a caramel sauce.. hope someone else jumps in that can help you out.. like i said when i did it i used ganache as a dam and i iced it then covered it in fondant.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Dulce de leche is thicker so i was hoping it would work. I have covered a 3D cake with dulce de leche with tip #18. I'm not gonna risk it though. I think I'll end up making a dulce de leche Buttercream so i can do the dam and crumb coat. Which Buttercream recipe do you use? I use indydebi's but lately I feel a weird aftertaste. Thanks!

jem2131 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Dulce de leche is thicker so i was hoping it would work. I have covered a 3D cake with dulce de leche with tip #18. I'm not gonna risk it though. I think I'll end up making a dulce de leche Buttercream so i can do the dam and crumb coat. Which Buttercream recipe do you use? I use indydebi's but lately I feel a weird aftertaste. Thanks!

yes rather be safe than sorry...i actually use indydebi's buttercream to fill my cakes but i always ice my cake in ganache.. i also dont use shortening that is in her recipe . i used all butter but thats because i only use it as a filling and not a crumbcoat.

karukaru Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yes rather be safe than sorry...i actually use indydebi's buttercream to fill my cakes but i always ice my cake in ganache.. i also dont use shortening that is in her recipe . i used all butter but thats because i only use it as a filling and not a crumbcoat.

Ganache needs to be refrigerated right? Maybe what I don't like is the shortening flavor. If you use only butter you have to refrigerate it right? I'm gonna hand paint the Fondant so I cannot refrigerated the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%