step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 9:28pm

My little story about a new customer trying to "lower" their pricing on me. Didn't think I would get slightly insulted by this, but when my husband agreed it was a jab then I had to laugh at it and share with you guys.

Of course, it's from a family friend. She sends me this elaborate picture of a two tiered fondant cake with all these handmade fondant duckies and baby things for a boy baby shower. Now, I knew she wasn't going to get back to me on pricing and so I just decided to give her a quote with a warning that it was for what the picture was...I'm always willing to work with people I know icon_wink.gif and I didn't mind telling her that she probably wasn't expecting a price so high.

So, she emails me back and says "yea, we were wanting to spend $XXX amount of money". but then PROCEEDS TO SAY:

Get this icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We don't need it "picture perfect" or anything icon_confused.gif

WITH THE QUOTES! tapedshut.gificon_lol.gificon_mad.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I can't stop laughing in my head at what she was trying to do...it is so blatant! I did respond with a nice "have you seen my portfolio/website? I am picture perfect and I pride myself in customized work." icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif
just wanted to share how funny customers are icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
shanter Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 9:57pm

That's like saying "Try to make this cake but do a bad job so I won't have to pay so much." The nerve of some people.

step0nmi Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 10:06pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

That's like saying "Try to make this cake but do a bad job so I won't have to pay so much." The nerve of some people.

exactly! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 10:11pm

I had an experience like also. The woman called, told me she wanted a sweet16 cake , but didn,t want it to cost no $300.00 or anything like that. I told her to send me a pic and she did. I printed it and showed it to my husband. I told him and her , that if she didn,t want a $300.00 cake , then she shouldn,t have picked a picture of a $300.00 cake. lol!! She tried every way she could to bring it down, saying, i could do this and just throw this own, etc.. I finally told her, i did not throw anything on any cake i did. I did them all in pride. I didn,t make the cake, nor did i want to. Rather sit and and twiddle my thumbs than do anything for nothing.

step0nmi Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:30pm

oh, she responded and totally backtracked with what she was saying. But still had that hint of "if we could go with $X and $X amount that would be great, let's talk!"

i have that gut thing going on saying i'm still insulted, but i honestly can't budge on still staying nice and just telling her my price.(i know i know, but if this got back to my family friend she would probably ask WHY and i just don't want to explain) i was very business in my last email to her and wrote it out plain and simple what the cost would be.

step0nmi Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 11:14pm

HA HAA! I am so glad to know that she decided to move on after me not contacting her for 3 days. She made it sound as if she was insulting me too by "found another decorator". i am sick of customers :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%