Making Cakes For Charity...

Business By Crazy-Gray Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 1:23pm by jgifford

Crazy-Gray Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 10:09am
post #1 of 8

Dont get me wrong I absolutely love making cakes for the charities I choose to support for them to raffle or auction and I donate both the full cost and my time... but the more I do the more I seem to be asked for (I say asked but there rarely seems to be a no option! Lol) and the requests are getting more and more elaborate of course increasing my time cost massively. Im only in my first year as a evening/weekend home baker (as have a full time job too) so Im making 2-3 cakes per week or one big one- am I being mean in thinking about the cost to me in both making the charity cake and loss of that weeks business or should I see it as a one-cake-cost marketing event where realistically lots of people will see my cake? (This suggests to me I should plaster it with branding and leave business cards, but that feels mean too as all who see the branding will be aware that Im attempting to use a charity event as an advertising campaign!)

Im considering, if asked and not offered, to donate my time only and let them keep anything over and above the raw ingredient cost after auction, however I cant shake the feeling that time is more valuable than ingredients and so maybe I should just decline?

Hopefully you have some experience of this and can offer some advice, I really dont mind if you think Im being mean- sometimes you have to hear people say it to realise it!

All the best, Gray.

7 replies
Karema Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 11:30am
post #2 of 8

If you really want donate you should but put a limit to what and when you donate. So you can tell charities that they have to submit their proposels six months in advace. Go through all of the proposels and pick one every three months. That will mean that you will be able to donate and you can limit the amount of money that you are dishing out. Hope that helps.

jgifford Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

If you really want donate you should but put a limit to what and when you donate. So you can tell charities that they have to submit their proposels six months in advace. Go through all of the proposels and pick one every three months. That will mean that you will be able to donate and you can limit the amount of money that you are dishing out. Hope that helps.

Absolutely Agree! You have to approach this from a business standpoint and learn to say no. And charity events are not typically well known for their marketing returns. It's not cold or hard-hearted to limit the number of donations you make, and the size and amount of the donation you make is up to you - - no matter the "request".

Some bakers here donate gift certificates, specifying the size of the cake and having an expiration date. That would enable you to donate without tying up your time and allow you to arrange the actual timing of the cake with the person who won it.

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

Pick ONE charity that is true to your heart. If you say yes to one, that gets around. Why you can't say no is beyond me, but learn how to.

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

And also, when you choose one, you can tell the others that you donate to one charity a year and that obligation has all ready been met.

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Pick ONE charity that is true to your heart. If you say yes to one, that gets around. Why you can't say no is beyond me, but learn how to.

Agree!!!
When another charity comes calling you can say "We have already reached our donation quota for this year."

And don't feel guilty about it thumbs_up.gif

Crazy-Gray Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 11:59am
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

I really like the idea of the voucher, that way if anyone asks for something larger than I indended to offer they can pay for it!
If anyone has done this before; how do you combat photocopiers; is a unique number enough?

...I think I'll visit the high street stores and jot down their replies when asking for donations- I'm sure I'll hear a few! icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

I really like the idea of the voucher, that way if anyone asks for something larger than I indended to offer they can pay for it!
If anyone has done this before; how do you combat photocopiers; is a unique number enough?

...I think I'll visit the high street stores and jot down their replies when asking for donations- I'm sure I'll hear a few! icon_biggrin.gif

YOU keep track of the vouchers you have donated and if anyone produces an "extra" you can always refuse it. I prefer to do anything of that sort by hand in blue ink - - cuts down on reproductions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%