Charging For Embellishments

Decorating By sissy_girl Updated 2 May 2013 , 10:52am by parre

sissy_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sissy_girl Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:50am
post #1 of 17

I always see where people say charge separately for extra fondant items on a cake. Yet, I have not seen an average price per item. Is there a rule of thumb by size, or what?

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 17

I add 50 cents to the per serving price. Unless we're talking something really extensive that's about the same as covering the cake in fondant. Then I charge the fondant per serving price.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 17

I charge from $15 and up for various items. When giving a quote, I'll add that charge to the per serving price. I calculate the price based on the item's complexity plus time and skill required.

Adding 50 cents to the per serving price doesn't seem like an accurate or fair way to charge for individual items. A loopy bow on top of a 6-inch tier is the same whether it's on a 40 serving cake or 140 serving cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 17

Some items I add into the serving price (piping, polka dots) and some things are a flat fee (flowers, bows) for just the reason DianeLM stated. It really comes down to how much time does your base price cover and how much time (and skill - you can charge more for something that is "difficult" even if it is easy for you) are the additional items going to take you.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 17

I also charge an additional 50 cents per serving...regular BC cake is $2, BC with fondant accents is $2.50 and would include stripes, dots, or other simple fondant accents. Loopy bows, fondant figurines, or a fondant covered cake board are all charged separate. All fondant cakes will include a fondant board. I will also do price adjustments. Say I have a cake that is zebra on bottom, but nothing on top but a "16", I will charge $2.50 per serving for the bottom tier only, and do $2 per serving for the top tier. If its an all buttercream cake with a loopy bow, I charge and additional $15 for that bow instead of doing the fondant accent per serving price...

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 17

How much do you normally charge for a bow, ribbon or fondant board? I know we might be in different area but I just wanted to know a ball park. Thank you icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

How much do you normally charge for a bow, ribbon or fondant board?

Our upcharge is based on the labor required to make the decoration at around $30/hour. This includes the pastry chef's wage and commercial kitchen rent.

sissy_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sissy_girl Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks everyone. Your suggestions really help.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 17

Dress bow $10, loopy bow $25, custom board $30

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you, Jason and Kory icon_biggrin.gif

parre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parre Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 17

So here is another question on the embellishment thread... I was asked to make flowers (chocolate dogwood flowers) for a friend who is making cupcakes for a wedding.  We are talking about 100 individual flowers.  How do I charge for that?  They do tak quite a bit of time and it's not like I am making 6-10 flowers for a cake topper. 100 is quite a lot of work.  Someone suggested 1$ each, that seems high.  What do you think?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 17

AI think that's about right. I charge $2.50 per dogwood set (flower & 2 leaves).

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 17

ABows, monograms, & fondant bands are $15

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 17

A

Original message sent by parre

So here is another question on the embellishment thread... I was asked to make flowers (chocolate dogwood flowers) for a friend who is making cupcakes for a wedding.  We are talking about 100 individual flowers.  How do I charge for that?  They do tak quite a bit of time and it's not like I am making 6-10 flowers for a cake topper. 100 is quite a lot of work.  Someone suggested 1$ each, that seems high.  What do you think?

How many hours will it take you to make 100 flowers?

parre Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:45pm
post #15 of 17

I am not quite sure but my best guess is with a helper 4 hrs. 

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:11am
post #16 of 17

For flowers I look at what they cost to buy from a wholesaler, including the shipping fees. Have you priced them out? That's the cheapest your client can get buy them. So I use that as my base price, then I add my material costs. Then I estimate how much time it will take to make them, x's the amount of money I need to make per hour. If you have other expense you need to add them too.

Always ask enough so you don't have regrets.

parre Posted 2 May 2013 , 10:52am
post #17 of 17

AThanks everyone for your comments. Will be sticking with the 1$ each even if underpriced. I need to get started with my clientele base somehow! :).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%