How Would You Price This?

Decorating By Linda1963 Updated 15 Mar 2012 , 12:35am by sillywabbitz

Linda1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda1963 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

I need some advice please. I have a request to put fondant on a pre-iced cake for a friend of a friend who is coming in and doing a cake for her daughters wedding next week. I live in NC and she is traveling from FL. I have no idea what to charge or IF I want to to do this for a complete stranger. I know my expectations but don't know what hers are. She has never worked with fondant and was sent to me. I just really do not what to do. icon_confused.gif

6 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:09am
post #2 of 7

I would not do it. If she is not familiar for fondant she won't understand how to do the base coat. Too thick, too thin or the wrong kind of frosting and your fondant will be a mess. And no matter what if the cake turns out badly it will all be on you. She'll be able to say the cake she gave you was perfect until you put fondant on it.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:16am
post #3 of 7

I would price it exactly the same as baking and decorating the entire cake yourself. This removes the incentive for her bringing her own cake.

Linda1963 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:19am
post #4 of 7

@ sillywabbitz...VERY good point! I hadn't really thought about her icing it wrong for the fondant prep. I had given some thought to being 'blamed' for a shabby looking cake if anyone else made comments. I ask if she would at least email the picture her daughter had sent of the cake design being done...this way I would know if I had any flaws would it be covered by what she would be decorating it with. She basically avoided the question, I asked twice icon_wink.gif You know also a thought is if she has never worked with fondant how will she know what to do when decorating? Somethings need to be done differently...ya know.

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:22am
post #5 of 7

You mean you're going to cover it in fondant and she's going to decorate it? Ummm no way! Why can't she just decorate a buttercream cake? If the design truly has to be fondant then you either do all the decorating or none of it. I say RUNicon_smile.gif

Linda1963 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:32am
post #6 of 7

Y'all are extremely helpful and bring out the logical side of why NOT to do this. It didn't take me long to pick up the phone and make my "decline' call. Thanks soooo much for responding so quickly!

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:35am
post #7 of 7

Good for youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%