sherry-o Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 7:20pm
post #1 of

I have used Duncan Hines white classic cake mix for years. It was light and fluffy! But the new formula is a heavier, more dense cake. It is not even white white in color! I know many, many cake people use Duncan Hines. What is everybody doing?? Does anyone have a good alternative mix or scratch recipe???
I have tried BC and Pillsbury mix in the past and neither compared to the old DH. Does anyone know of a commerical mix that is good and easily available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

12 replies
therese379 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 1:36am
post #2 of

Sherry... I'm so sad to hear DH changed their recipe....what were they thinking .. I use DH and extra flour,sugar,eggs.ect... Basically a doctored cake mix, now what.... Hope you find a great recipe..

DeniseNH Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:29am
post #3 of

I agree, it's horrible. What we're doing is using two different mixes, one DH and one either BC or Pillsbury - together. Someone sent an email to me stating that the parent company of DH has suffered a huge financial loss in another area of it's product offerings so I think this must be the reason they downgraded their mixes and changed the recipe.............to save money.

MarisParis Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 1:38pm
post #4 of

I'm also wondering the same thing...I use the extended cake recipe but now that DH has changed, do I need to change my old recipe too? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aundron Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:28pm
post #5 of

I still use the DH white cake mix and I actually use the old recipe, not the new one. I had been doing without noticing that they changed the recipe on the box, so I just kept doing it since it worked.

The new recipe is 3 large eggs, 1/3 or 1/4 oil, and 1 cup water.

The old recipe is 3 egg whites, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 1/3 cup of water, this is what I still use and it's worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Lisapost Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:41pm
post #6 of

I am doing the same as aundron, I simply use the old recipe and ignore the box and find the cakes come out the same as they had prior to the changes. I hope this helps

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:54pm
post #7 of

If you have an Aldi's near you switch to their brand. Works great thumbs_up.gif

kimebarnes Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 3:09pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

If you have an Aldi's near you switch to their brand. Works great thumbs_up.gif

i wondered about the aldi brand may try it out on the family this weekend

Minstrelmiss Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 7:53pm
post #9 of

After years of DH, I just started using the Aldi brand because I have been doing so many free cakes for school and the results have been very positive.

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:50am

They changed their recipe. If you look at the ounces on the box they cut the amount of cake mix you get now. I like Betty C. The only Duncan H. I use is the Red Velvet and that's only because Betty doesn't make one. I can't stand Pillsbury it's only good for cupcakes. I wish companies would stop trying to find ways to change or downsize their products. If it's not broke don't try to fix it.

MarisParis Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 12:28am

After asking around, it seems even though the boxes have changed, still use the same recipe (WASC or 3D Durable Cake Recipe)...it doesn't seem to change the turnout.

I haven't tried it yet, but hope this helps!

fanofcake Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 12:53am

I also noticed that they changed their mix along with the box design. I didn't notice they put less mix in but that explains why I obviously don't get as many cakes out of a box! I have actually been adding 1/2-3/4 tsp of baking powder to all of my WASC variations. White I use 3/4 tsp and recipes that I use whole eggs in I use 1/2 tsp. I also use 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg in my white mix. This way I get great cakes and my cupcakes even have domed tops instead of falling flat after cooling with sticky cracked tops! icon_smile.gif I just can't bring myself to use any other brand even with all the changes DH has made.

DeniseNH Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:08am

What really grabs me is that they said they were downsizing the contents so that they can keep the price the same. Today I went to WalMart and found smaller packages AND a 25 cents per package rate hike. That does it, I;m on a search for the best scratch cakes - or combination scratch and box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%