Adding Extras To Boxed Cake Mix?

Baking By tlucero Updated 15 Mar 2012 , 4:05pm by tlucero

tlucero Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for a family member and they wanted carrot cake with raisins and walnuts added to it. I've never made one like this. I only make cakes for family and close friends since it's just a hobby and instead of making from scratch I use boxed mix and was wondering if adding the extra ingredients would make it dry? I've heard you can add carrot baby food to make it more moist and give it some added flavor. Does this work? Would I need to leave some of the oil or water out in place of the baby food? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
jgifford Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

You should be fine just adding the raisins (gag!) and walnuts by themselves. Box mixes are very forgiving and these are common add-ins.

Reyna Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 5

I add 2 cups of shreaded carrots, 1/2 nuts, 1/2 rasins, 1/2 coconut and either orange or pineapple juice to replace water.

kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 5

Make the cake dry?? Oh NO, just the oppositicon_smile.gif
Carrots have lots of water and raisins are moist too so I suggest you cut down slightly on the liquid added to the box mix. babyfood carrots do add moisture and a bit of flavor but if you want a carrot cake then add about 1/2 cup of freshly grated carrots to the mix.
If it's a carrot or spice cake mix add the above.
If it's a white, or fr. vanilla cake also add at least 1 Tablespoon of mixed pumpkin pie spice.

tlucero Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%