Twigs, Branches, Grapevine....

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 18 Mar 2012 , 4:26pm by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working out a cake design. (I'm not very good at design & not so experienced in stacked cakes) It is a 3 tier white, stacked right on top of each other cake. It's a Fall theme. The "guide" picture was given to me with fall leaves around the bottom of each tier. It appears there are these little twigs also.

The original design seems a little thin. So, I wanted to incorporate a grapevine wreath under the base of the cake. From there, I'm a bit confused as to where to go. I don't want to overwhelm the cake with "stuff" & then again...it shouldn't be naked.

(1) Would you include fall foliage/leaves in the grapevine wreath as well as around the bottom of the tiers?
(2) Would you/Could you use real grapvine for base AND tier bottom borders, as well as craft store fall foliage/leaves.

My main concern is the cake looks like a 6 year old did it. I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to making twigs & branches...and leaves for that matter...but will take the time to do it with molds & what not if you all feel it will improve the look of the cake.

Please let me know your "gut" design instincts on this. I appreciate your time....THANKS!

(by the way, if you haven't seen Evoir's new cherry blossom cake...check it out, it's gorgeous)

4 replies
mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:38am
post #2 of 5

I'm having a hard time visualising the cake (blame being tired and a bit ill!) Would you be able to post the 'guide' picture you mentioned?

I'm curious because having just googled 'fall cakes' I can see a lot of similar-looking cakes: i.e. with leaves etc. around the bottoms of the layers - with the exception of a few, most of them look quite elegant in my opinion, as opposed to bare. A few also have a little piping detail to add some texture, which looks quite nice.

If I'm concerned about the balance/colour scheme of a cake's design I find it really helpful to sketch it out (and believe me, I am by no means a great artist!) If you can get even just the basic shapes and colours down on paper it can be really useful to see whether a cake is too busy/unbalanced/needs something else etc. etc.

EvMarie Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I'll try to sketch it out. I can't draw that well either...but I think I get your point. It's easier than messing up a whole cake in real life.

I do like the picture that was given to me...I just thought it could use a little more...especially at the base. My computer is acting wackadoodle....and you know I can't find the picture in the google search now or I'd attach a link.

Although, I did find several other cakes that are in fact elegant. I think this cake just needed leaves that were a tiny bit bigger & perhaps more elegant twigs...and then a more substantial base. Whether it be grapevine wreath with more leaves....or a coordinating foam board base with ribbon trim. The picture just showed a thin foil covered base.

Bummer I can't attach the picture. But your comment did help....[/img]

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 3:09am
post #4 of 5

I think I can help you. I seem to be the twig queen. I like your idea of putting a wreath around the base of the whole cake, but you might mar the icing on the bottom tier. What if you put a 2 to 3" tall foam cake dummy on the table, covered it over with a nice fabric or burlap cloth. Then slip the wreath over the top of the dummy and down onto the table then place your cake on a foamcore plate and put it on top of the burlap covered dummy. Then take real but very small twigs, wash them thoroughly and dry, I use blueberry twigs, wind florist tape around the bottom of the sticks and insert into the cake here and there. Does this help?

EvMarie Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 5

Ahhhhhh, that's an idea....blueberry twigs. Are these available at a craft store?

I'm having a disconnect in my brain about using the grapevine wreath. I thought using a little bit of twigs around the tier borders would be nice...but I wanted them to be the same look as the base. Can I use ACTUAL washed & dried parts of grapevine? And, maybe not push them directly into the cake...but lay them? Is there some kind of sealer?

I was fine trying to make twigs...sorta like all the cherry blossom cakes you see out there...but then I don't think they'll "jive" with the base grapevine being more rustic. Maybe I should just take a few tours of my local craft stores. See what they have available.

DeniseNH - thanks for the reply. You got my brain going....which is good. Do you have any further thoughts on the actual grapevine used on the base of the tiers as well?

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%