Sonya Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:04pm
post #1 of

Hi All! I am making a wedding cake this weekend and I will need to get my buttercream smooth as possible. The bride wants my buttercream that I make with all crisco no butter. I have been making my buttercream with crisco with the 0 trans fat but I found a store that has "their" name brand and I was wondering if it would make my smoothing better? The label says:

Wescott Pre-Creamed shortening
Prepared with meat fats and veg oils
with mono-diglycerides added

it has Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4.5g
Trans fat 0.5g
polyunsaturated fat 1g
monounsaturated fat 4g

will using this shortening form a nice crust where I can use the viva method to smooth and will it smooth better since it has some trans fat in it? Thanks for any help icon_wink.gif

6 replies
jgifford Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:29pm
post #2 of

I only use Crisco and don't have a problem with crusting. It depends on the amount of ps you use. I find that the more I beat the crisco before adding anything else, the creamier it is.

TinkerCakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:43pm
post #3 of

I usually use Crisco but found a store brand with the 0.5g trans fat, I tried it and honestly didn't see much of a difference with smoothing (it did crust the same). I am going to purchase some high ratio shortening for a cake I'm doing in May, I'm really hoping I love it as much as everyone else does. I'm losing sleep about the buttercream being smooth, it will be my first wedding cake.
Good Luck!

poohsmomma Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:16pm
post #4 of

I don't think I would want to use "meat fats" in my buttercream!

jason_kraft Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 7:16pm
post #5 of

There's nothing wrong with meat fats...at one point we developed a BC recipe using lard (for people with dairy and soy allergies) and it was pretty good.

Sonya Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:14pm
post #6 of

Thanks for the help! I made a test batch of icing with it and it tasted really good but was really soft, so I think I will stick to my regular crisco for this wedding cake but I may experiment more using the pre-creamed shortening in the future icon_wink.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:56am
post #7 of

I use a store brand that does not contain animal fats vegetable shortening only that contains 2.5 grams trans fat. The trans fat is what helps your frosting. Crisco leaves a greasy feeling in your mouth so I stopped using it years ago. I do use it for baking. I also use icing shortening that I purchase from my cake supply store. It's wonderful and whips up nice and fluffy. Crusts wonderfully so you can use the paper towel method to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%