Cutting The Cake

Business By mystsparkle Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 5:48pm by vgcea

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

I know this topic has been talked about over and over...I don't do weddings, so if you're supplying a cake for a party, do you still use the 1x2 size guide? 1.5x2 size guide? or 2x2 size guide? thanks!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

Industry standard (8 cu. in.) size... 1x2x4 for double-layer cakes and 2x2x2 for single-layer cakes.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

I went back and forth between party and wedding servings, and even though I don't do wedding cakes yet, I decided to stick with the industry standard and use wedding cake servings. No matter how the cake is cut, you are still providing enough cake to give a certain number of servings. How the customer chooses to cut it is up to them. What changed my mind was the fact that when I make the batter for my 2 layer 8 inch cake, it makes exactly 24 cupcakes. If that batter can make 24, then those 24 servings are in the 8 inch cake. I would tell a customer this cake gives 20-24 servings depending on how you cut it.

mystsparkle Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 7

good point. do you supply them a sheet on how to cut it so that they can get 24 slices?: when i try to make a mock up cut, i get 15 slices...thats not using how wilton does it for round cakes,,,making the circle inside...most people arent going to cut like that for a party i would think,,

vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

Indideby's cutting guide is what I use, it's more realistic and easier to explain.

mystsparkle Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 7

Okay..i believe hers is basically...go in 2 inches from the side of the cake and slice down, then take that piece and slice into 1 inch slices..correct?

vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 7

Yes that's it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%