Help - Fondant Covered Board

Decorating By RockStarBaker Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 1:47pm by southerncross

RockStarBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RockStarBaker Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a beginner cake decorator and I just had an quick question about covering cake boards with fondant. The last/first time I used this method I covered it almost a week ahead to let the fondant dry out and then I stacked the bottom layer directly onto the fondant covered board. Low and behold when it came to cutting the final product the fondant that was covering the board turned all gooey underneath the cake. Is there anyway to avoid this? Do you usually still put a cake circle inbetween the fondant cake board and the cake?
Any advice will be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 4

I definitely keep the cake on a cake circle before putting it directly on the fondant cake board.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 4

I don't completly cover the board. To me, it is a waste of fondant. After the cake is on the board, then I roll out a piece that is long enough and wide enough....sprinkly generously with ps, then roll it up. I then, take it to the board and roll it out slowly to go around the board.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 4

I tend to cover the board with a layer of royal icing. I let if firm up just a bit then use an impression mat to give it a pattern. When it completely dries, it hasn't cracked or broken and gives a nice presentation even with 4 tiers of cake bearing down. I haven't had any trouble with it softening because the cake itself sits on a cake round the same size as the cake rather than sitting the cake directly on the RI covered larger board.

When I have covered the board with fondant, I use Wilton's because that's about all it's good for. I found that MMF is a bit too soft to use as a board cover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%