Stacking Cakes And Bottom Tier Not Level? Help!

Decorating By emma_123 Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 8:37pm by emma_123

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 10:37am
post #1 of 5

I've just starting making/assembling my first wedding cake and it isn't going great so far! The bottom tier is fruit cake which I'd already covered in marzipan and I've just covered it with fondant but when I put the cake board which is going to be the same size as the next tier on top most of it sits flat but the corners of the board are raised slightly so it obviously isn't as flat as I thought it was.

Is there anything I can do about it? I guess the next tier needs to sit completely flat otherwise its not going to look right is it? I was stressed enough about this cake as it was and thought the fruit cake would be the easy bit - how wrong was I!?! Is there any way to rescue it now its covered?
Thank you x

4 replies
emma_123 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:11am
post #2 of 5

Right slight update - I managed to mess up the fondant so tried to take it off and in the process managed to damage the marzipan too. So now am majorly behind schedule and still not sure what I can to rescue the cake - how do I go about levelling a fruit cake?

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:25am
post #3 of 5

How about just trimmin some off the middle so it will sit flat.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 5

If it's just slightly off level - what about building up the ruined marzipan in the low spot so that there's more on the low end then reapplying the fondant. Sometimes at a venue I need to place a shim or folded piece of paper under one corner of the cake plate to make the cake appear to be level - when the floor of the venue is crooked. Are you setting the cake up and can you shove a folded piece of cardboard or paper under the cake plate (between the plate and the table top) to make it appear level?

emma_123 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your replies, I ended up having to take all the marzipan off and I wasn't able to salvage it either so had to go to the shop and get more then take it off the board and try and cut some off to level it. It was a bit messy but I got there in the end although I'd be happier if the cake was a bit higher but there didn't seem any other way to get it flat. It does seem flat now and the board sits flat when placed on top of it too so hopefully it'll be ok once its stacked. I am taking it to the venue Denise so I'll remember your advice when I'm there, thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%