Bubble Tea Straws.

Decorating By Rach80 Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 10:30pm by trebakes

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 10

So I have always used the bubble tea straws as my support system and to date (knock on wood) they have never let me down. But, at the end of this month I'm making a 4 tier wedding cake, can straws support a 4 tier cake? I never done more than 3 tiers.
Thanks!

9 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 10

I have successfully stacked 7 tiers. Now, they were 4-5-6-7-8-9-10, so they weren't huge and heavy. That said, I recently did a 5 tier 5-7-9-11-13 with bubble straws and wouldn't have hesitated to use SPS if I thought I needed to. I have successfully stacked double barrel 10" on tea straws, again if I didn't trust them 100%, I wouldn't do it. Cut them correctly, space them properly, and you should be fine. If you don't feel comfy doing it though, don't do it.

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 10

I really have to try these bubble tea straws I've heard nothing but raves. I am so tired of cutting wooden dowels, they never come out evenly.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 10

I only use bubble tea straws and have stacked up to 5 tiers. Because I don't do a lot of wedding cakes, I stack onsite. I like them because they are food safe, easier to cut - and kids love to suck the cake out of them.

stewy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stewy Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 10

@ azcouture- when you say cut properly and space properly...what exactly do you mean. i use these but dont know the 'correct' way, and i seem to trim and trim with scissors to get them straight. i also didnt know if there was a rule as to how many to put per layer...i just always use 4?

thank you icon_smile.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 10

I always trim the straight end off to make sure it's straight before I measure them. I use my judgement as to the amount. 4,5,6" tiers will get 3, and more for bigger tiers.

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 10

THank you all! I plan on stacking at the venue anyway so I feel that these will be fine! It's only a 12,10,8,6 cake. I don't make cakes for a income (I wish) but I just do it for friends and family when needed and this was a wedding of a friend planned last minute so I offered to help out by making the cake. Thanks again for all your insight!

bgsoltis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgsoltis Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 10

Anyone know where to get these in the Toronto area? Thanks!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 10

If you're stacking at the venue, I'd feel comforable using bubble straws. They are strong. But as others have said, it's very important to make sure they are cut evenly and spaced correctly. One thing I would consider though is to use good quality, moisture and grease proof cakeboards.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 10

I saw Martha Stewart put small dowels (or were they skewers?) inside straws for a wedding cake she made with Julia Child. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%