Baking At 350*

Business By liz881 Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 4:11am by scp1127

liz881 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 7

A lot of cake recipes called for cakes to be bake at 350*, but everytime I try my cakes they get burn around the edges. If I buy a thermometer and oven is not working properly ( 1 yearl old stove) - those that mean my oven needs to be calibrated? Do I have to hire a professional to fix my oven or can I do it myself?

Does the consistency of the cake changes when you bake at 325? To many questions!!!!!!

6 replies
ladij153 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 7

liz881, I would get the thermometer and see exactly what temp 350 degrees is in your oven and then you can adjust the temp accordingly....also, try putting the bake even baking strips around your pans to help them bake more evenly. HTH

kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 7

It difinately sould like the oven needs calabrating.
I don't know if they still do but both the gas and electric companies used to do this for free. Call to see if your local one does.
It is really not something a person can do alone, at home.
My husband was a repair man so I know it takes a special meter and lots of time to do it properly.
Calabrating is done by taking an average of temps over a long time......the oven matains temp by going on & off over say like an hour, then it is averaged to be 350 or whatever.
You can just try baking at 300 degrees to see if that helps. I *NEVER!* bake cakes at 350 - always at 300.

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

Before you go blaming your oven do you use non-stick spray on your pans? Ever since I stopped using the non-stick spray, no more crunchy top edges. I now use homemade pan grease. Just mix 1/4 cup veg shortening, 1/4 cup veg oil and 1/4 cup flour and store it in an airtight container in the cupboard. Use a pastry brush to coat your pans before adding your batter. It's awesome...cheaper , no mess and items I always have on hand.

My oven is off by 25 degrees. If I set it to 350 it actually bakes at 325. I do have an oven thermometer so I'm able to keep an eye on it but it's basically consistently off 25 degrees.

momg9 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 7

I bake all my cakes at 325. I thought my oven was off, but I've tested it with a thermometer and 350 is 350. My cakes turn out much better at 325.

MacsMom Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

Using Bake Even Strips helps that tremendously. I ue them on pans 8" and above at 350. For pans 7" and under, they bake best at 325 without the strips.

325 is to decrease the doming, but so are the Bake Even Strips (as well as decreasing dark edges). I've found that using both the strips and baking at 325 can cause a cake to sink (not rise enough).

scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7

My KA allows me to fix my oven just like I fix my candy thermometer. If it is just off by x degrees and the swing in temp is ok, a digital oven may allow you to perform this simple adjustment. Check your owner's manual or go online to check.

Quote by @%username% on %date%