Steamer For Shiny Looking Cakes

Decorating By 49ERLINDA Updated 17 Feb 2014 , 9:09pm by AZCouture

49ERLINDA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
49ERLINDA Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 21

Hi....can anyone reccommend a type of steamer to purchase to give the "shiny" look to your cakes? I didnt know if a "regular" clothes steamer would do the trick or if it would be too hot. THANK YOU!! icon_smile.gif

20 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 21

I use the "My Little Steamer by Joy Mangano". I love it.

Rae

joyandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyandcake Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:23am
post #3 of 21

I spray on a lacquer ... 1 part piping gel to two parts water shaken until combined.

49ERLINDA Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 21

THANK YOU!

pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 21

I would go easy on the steamer though, I have seen way to many ooey gooey melted looking cakes.
They always look so sad, like they've been crying.

49ERLINDA Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 21

LOL....No, don't want that. Do you have a reccomendation?

pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 21

I just spray my cakes down with a little vodka, it cleans up any cornstarch residue and after it dries leaves a nice matte finish. If I want a little shine I add some pearl sheen to it.
I personally don't like the wet look though, I have a few pics that are shiny but that's because they had been in the fridge prior to getting their pics taken.
That condensation evaporates and I'm left with a nice dry cake.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofcaketx

I would go easy on the steamer though, I have seen way to many ooey gooey melted looking cakes.
They always look so sad, like they've been crying.

Couldn't agree more. Shiny look for leather, things that are supposed to like plastic, anything at all that in real life is shiny is great--use that steamer! But for ordinary cakes??? icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 21

For the love of God, step away from the steamer! I agree that if you need a certain effect you should use some kind of glossy effect, but shiny cakes just look like they're victims of humidity.Not good.

49ERLINDA Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 21

Thank you all....I need the shine for a MONSTER TRUCK....for the most part, I don't like a "wet looking cake" either!!!
LL

AZCouture Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 21

No problem, but the discussion is allowed to continue...sometimes threads do that, without it being about you personally. icon_wink.gif

49ERLINDA Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 21

Oh, please pardon all the "CAPS"....a nasty habit due to eyesight....I totally did not take anything personally....thank you again.... icon_redface.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:02am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERLINDA

Oh, please pardon all the "CAPS"....a nasty habit due to eyesight....I totally did not take anything personally....thank you again.... icon_redface.gif

Holy cow, I had to use a wireless keyboard that controlled a huge screen on the wall tonight at a meeting and my eyes are still crossed. I'm so nearsighted, I swear...

For that cake I personally would use some kind of a glaze that would stay shiny, not a steamer.

49ERLINDA Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 21

A glaze sounds great....remember, I'm a new-bee....make a glaze, if so how??? buy a glaze, if so where??? icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 11:22am
post #15 of 21

Maybe corn syrup thinned out and brushed on? It would be sticky, though. Here's a recipe for a dessert glazethta might work. I've also used confectioner's glaze before but it loses the shine when it dries out some.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666119.html

49ERLINDA Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 21

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! The cake is for 3/31 so I have time to test it out....I have never been so stressed over a cake!!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 21

For shiny glaze I use a 40/60 mix of corn syrup and vodka then I paint it on the cake. If the item is a single color, in addtion to tinting the fondant, I add color to the vodka before adding it to the corn syrup. Mix well and paint it on with a good brush.

I used this method for the wine bottle in this cake.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1737944/wine-bottle-retirement-cake

It takes about a night to dry. If you need it to dry faster you can increase the amount of vodka.

49ERLINDA Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 21

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! HERE IS WHAT I AM MAKING.....HENCE THE NEED FOR A SUGGESTED "GLAZE" AS OPPOSED TO STEAMING...
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 10:16pm
post #19 of 21

The only problem with painting a glaze over that...or steaming it really...is that the colors may run, especially the colors you've painted with. Confectioner's glaze wouldn't make the colors run but I would really hesitate to paint that much of it onto something...it's edible but gross.

rlegalhound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlegalhound Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 7:39pm
post #20 of 21

When you say "spray" do you use an airbrush or a squirt bottle?

AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 21

AAirbrush, or if it's an aerosol can, that, obviously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%