Anyone Familiar W/ Gold Glaze?

Decorating By BuffytheBakingSlayer Updated 21 Mar 2012 , 8:15pm by BuffytheBakingSlayer

BuffytheBakingSlayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 8

I am considering using this on top of fondant letters to give a gold sheen. is it any good? I couldn't really find any good info on it in doing a search.

I don't need them to be a dense dark gold, but I would like it to show up at least some and give a nice sparkly sheen.

In the alternative, would i be better off using a gold spray, like from Chefmaster or PME?

I need the letters to still be edible.

TIA!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:23am
post #2 of 8

I think I still have some in my drawer. Don't expect it to act like you assume it will. You will need at least three coats and it takes FOREVER to dry. Better to use gold luster mixed with vodka. It still may take three coats to get what you want, but it dries quick.

BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 8

But luster isn't edible,correct? I need to make sure that if anyone eats the letters, there will be no problems.

Or am I confusing luster with Disco dust? I am very confused by what is food grade edible. And not just safe in that well-it-won"t-kill-you type of way.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 8

Don't know where you live (US?) but there is a great UK product advertised as 'new' but it has been on the market for some time: Metallic Food Paint by Rainbow Dust.co.uk - Metallic Light Gold and Silver

Rainbow Dust (the Sparkle Range) itself is not edible, but this product has nothing to do with it, it's 100 % edible. Even one coat is acceptable, I usually use two. It dries very quickly. I used both on some of the cakes in my gallery (bird cage and elephant). There will be surely something similar in the US. It's nut free, GM Free, gluten free, suitable for vegetarians, Kosher & Halal.

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/products/Rainbow-Dust-Metallic-Food-Paint-%252d-Light-Gold-(25ml).html

BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 8

I am in the US

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffytheBakingSlayer

I am in the US

This product is available even on e-bay if you are interested, they ship worlwide (price just under USD 5/pc + shipping to the US under USD 4).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/metallic-Food-Paint-Rainbow-Dust-Light-Gold-NEW-PRODUCT-/150701070240?pt=Uk_Crafts_Cake_Decorating_MJ&hash=item23167bd7a0#ht_2809wt_1163

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 8

I think luster dust is edible but disco dust is not (it won't kill you, but it is not recommended for consumption).

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. icon_smile.gif

BuffytheBakingSlayer Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 8

the woman at the local cake place claimed that they were all the same and were edible. So basically didnt help me out at all, info wise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%