New Jersey Crumb Cake Recipes?

Decorating By cakebakernnj Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 10:41am by MimiFix

cakebakernnj Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!
New to the forum and and interested in getting some recipe feedback for new jersey style thick crumb cake. I've been ordering cakes for special events through Crumb Cake Creations, but want to try and make my own. In the past I haven't managed to bake the cake so that the crumbs are thick and crunchy, but the cake remains moist. I wish I had the recipe from where I order them but, of course, thats not going to be available online.
If anyone could share how they've maintained moist cake while making crumbs thick and crunchy, I'm all ears.

Looking forward to some good dialogue.

4 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

I'm confused. What do you mean by crunchy? We generally try really hard not to make cake crunchy because that is usually a sign of it being over cooked on the edges.

Thick and moist are common in choc cakes especially with a higher sugar content. Many people add pudding and/or sour cream to get a denser cake. I think you'd probably have to start with a base recipe.

One cake known for being very moist and dense is a cake called Mud Cake...you can google it. There are tons of recipes out there for Mud cake

scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:22am
post #3 of 5

Buddy Valastro gives his recipe in his first Cake Boss book. It's a completely different kind of cake. The crumb mixture is added on top of the cake before it is baked, like a streusel.

Tails Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 8:46am
post #4 of 5
MimiFix Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 10:41am
post #5 of 5

cakebakernnj, start with a basic streusel-topped coffeecake recipe and tweak until it comes close to what you're seeking. Ideally, it's best to do side-by-side taste test comparisons.

But I'm a bit confused, too. You joined CakeCentral yesterday so that we can help you decipher a recipe made by a small business trying to make a few dollars selling this product? Do you want to save money and bake it yourself or are you in business and want to add this to your product line?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%