Serving Chart

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 13 Mar 2012 , 3:38pm by MacsMom

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 4

i inquired about this a couple months ago. .... i am having a difficult time deciding and finding a good serving size chart... i am told that most decorators use the wilton guidlines. is this true for you? i feel like the pieces are so much smaller than people really cut. so i have been researching and there are soooooo many different ones out there. i would like to have a cutting chart for them when they get their cakes. for an example wilton says and 11x15 serves 60..........????? i dont understand how you can get 60 party pieces out of a 11.15. help! tia!

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 4

That's for double layerdivide by 2 for single layer.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

I compared a lot of cake servings charts I found 10 that had the same serving sizes and went by that but I do not cut the cake the way wilton shows. It is a give and take you can tell the customer the cake serves this many but if they cut huge sizes then they get less.

One decorator made a sample of the cut sizes (Wedding cake servings are based on a 1" X 2" slice. Party cake servings are generally 1.5" x 2".) to show the customer what the size will look like and how servings are determined for a cake. So, I put together a list of servings that I have collected and so far has been working for me. I hope that helps.

Here is a sample of how most are cutting round cakes and it is very helpful
http://www.cakedot.com/CakeCuttingChart.html

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4

I don't advertise the size of my cake slices - it's impossible when a lot of my cakes are topsy, carved, or otherwise non-standard.

When I make wedding cakes, I know that most caterers slice close to the Wilton chart, so I do show the bride a photo of the size of the slice she can expect.

However, for party cakes I allow for larger slices. No one ever asks how large a slice is. If they do, the answer is: "It depends on who is cutting the cake". I've never seen an aunt get out a ruler before serving her nieces birthday cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%