Can't Remember Brand Name Of Ovens Y'all Recommended...

Business By Rhienn Updated 13 Mar 2012 , 3:26pm by KuyaRomeo

Rhienn Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:27am
post #1 of 5

I'm in the market for new ovens. I remember awhile ago everyone was excited about a certain brand of (I'm talking commercial ovens) oven that was an alternative to convection... several people had purchased them and were quite happy. I seem to remember it had heating coils up and down the back for even heating without the fan? Anyone remember what brand/model that is? I'd like to look into them before I make my decision.

4 replies
Rhienn Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:36am
post #2 of 5

Annnnnd, of course, I figured out that they're Deluxe Ovens right after I posted. Never fails.

Disregard! icon_rolleyes.gif

itsacake Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 5

I'm writing because when I bought my Deluxe Ovens two years ago I had never heard one bad thing about them. I've been somewhat disappointed in my experience with them.

I have two Deluxe Ovens. I bought them new at the same time and they have successive serial numbers, so maybe Deluxe was having a bad day the day that they were made. I find that often the temperature goes up or down for no reason. This happens in both ovens randomly. We've replaced the thermostats in and the thermocouples in both ovens.. The temperature variations still exist. Russ, at Deluxe has tried to troubleshoot this with me, but it is hard to do over the phone and there seem to be no local repair people for this brand of oven. No one has ever heard of them, in fact. Russ sent new thermostats and new thermocouples at no charge and my husband was able to do the replacements. However, it hasn't helped much.

It's not that the ovens are bad. I might still purchase them if I had to do it over, but this is a continuing frustatration and I wasn't prepared for any problems having always only heard good things.

Also, if you want to bake things other than cakes, there can be issues with having heat above and below every shelf. For example, I find it really difficult to bake macarons with heat above the shelf. In fact, last week my husband disabled the coil above the top shelf in one oven. My macarons turned out better and the oven temperature is not fluctuating any more than usual. My son is a mechanical engineer and has said he will install digital thermostats with better thermocouples at some point. I'm waiting eagerly.

BTW, these ovens, called Convecta-ray do have a convection component. It is "gentle convection" which I do find better than regular convection (which I don't like for cakes and cookies unlike the majority of people on here)

Rhienn Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

Itsa -

Thanks so much for chiming in. This is the first I've heard of any issues. Good information as I weigh things out.

I use my current convection ovens with the fan on low. I wonder if there's a "gentle convection" oven out there that isn't radiant heat? The search is on!

KuyaRomeo Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 5

Another great oven is Easy-Bake. You simply take your cake mix and put it in these teeny tiny little dishes and push them through the mini oven. When they come out on the other side, they are done!

This is , of course , my attempt at humor. My sister had an Easy Bake oven when we were kids. I used it far more than she ever did! Who knew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%