Health Department Inspection Results

Business By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 18 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm by BoozeBabe

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 26

I feel I should start this by saying I am not the owner of the business. I've been decorating for this bakery for almost a year now. We had an inspection the other day and I wanted to ask the community about some of the results.

Overall, our results were good. Just a few minor violations. There was some shortening on a balance bowl that was put away, some of the bread in the front didn't have ingredient labels (owner already spoke to the girl who was responsible for that and she had just forgotten that day of all days), and I think one other thing that I can't think of right now.

But there was one thing the inspector said that I'm not sure I agree with. When he was looking at our dish area, he asked what we were using to wash dishes. We said dish soap and he said he would prefer if we used bleach water. His reasoning was that he's heard it's better than soap for removing bakery grease from dishes. So that night, the closers used bleach water to clean the dishes and guess what? Greasiest dishes I've ever had to use. I had to rewash them this morning. I could scrape my nail across a spatula and a glob of grease was stuck to my nail. So I did my own dishes this afternoon and they came out fine. Granted, I used scalding hot water (I don't even turn on the cold tap). But I've never had problems with greasy dishes when I do my own because of the hot water.

Has anyone heard of this bleach water thing? Also, has anyone had reasonable cause to disagree with the health inspector, and did you say anything? Should I just shut my mouth and clean my dishes with the scalding hot bleach water, or just go ahead and use dish soap (the method that has always worked for me)?

25 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 26

I used to work for a bakery, and the health department required dishes to be washed and then sanitized which meant washing with dish soap (whatever the commercial brand was) and then dipping in bleach water. Do you think he meant to wash and then bleach?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 26

Nope, he said to ditch the soap and just use bleach. That's how the owner explained it to me.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 26

Sounds like something was lost in translation to me, bleach is not a degreaser so you still need soap.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 26

Many, Many years ago I worked at a pizza place and I remember you had 3 sinks....one to wash (reg. dish soap), then one with the bleach water(or "sanitizer"), then one was just water. You'd wash, then put the pan in the bleach water, then rinse. I'm pretty sure that's how it was....like I said, it was many years ago! I wonder if the owner heard it wrong. I honestly don't think he meant wash with bleach water.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 26

That's why they normally want a 3-compartment sink... wash, sanitize, rinse.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 26

It sounds like some kind of misunderstanding to me. I would ask HD inspector for additional clarification. I know in my state bleached water (in correct proportion) is used for sanitizing dishes after they've been washed not instead of washing.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:00am
post #8 of 26

Is the owner pushing you to do it the inspector's way? If so, I would somehow check with a supervisor at the HD. Inspectors who admit they "heard" that bleach water was a way to wash grease obviously isn't making a very experienced decision.
I would find out in print what the preferred cleaning method is through your HD.
That's just icky btw, and it will rust your tips and pans pretty fast from my experience.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:00am
post #9 of 26

I am just curious but aren't automatic dish washing machines allowed in commercial places?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:02am
post #10 of 26

I totally agree with all that everyone is saying. Unfortunately the owner has a history of not taking suggestions/criticism from employees well. Makes situations like this kinda tough.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:03am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

I am just curious but aren't automatic dish washing machines allowed in commercial places?

Absolutely! If you can afford them. We can't.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:14am
post #12 of 26

I don't have a business. It's an expensive hobby for me. I have a dishwasher at home. It is supposed to be a good one. But I wonder just how sanitary a home diswasher really is. Another topic, I suppose.The other thing I find is that my hands are taking a beating. Even if I wear those food gloves they invariably have to come off and on. how do you keep everything really sanitized. Is wiping down everything with disinfectant good enough. Like refrigerator doors etc.?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:18am
post #13 of 26

The correct order is Wash, RINSE, Sanitize.

Sanitize AFTER you rinse not the other way around.

http://www.servsafe.com/Foodsafety/resource/downloads/posters_quizzes/poster_12.pdf

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:44am
post #14 of 26

My inspector told me not to mix bleach and soap to wash down tables and appliances. Soap does not allow the bleach to dry on the surfaces. I agree that this sounds like miscommunication or someone coming up with a better way on their own.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 12:59am
post #15 of 26

Go on line to your states dept of health and look it up and print it out for your boss. You are supposed to put soap in the first sink, plain water in the middle and bleach in the third than air dry!!! If he still doesn't listen show him the greasy dishes and ask him if he wants you to use them???

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 1:01am
post #16 of 26

Why does there have to be ingredient labels on bread? Do you have to have ingredient labels on cakes and cupcakes too?

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 5:33am
post #17 of 26

For the sake of public health please do what Karema suggested.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:18pm
post #18 of 26

My boss did request a print out of guidelines that the inspectors look for. There were some other things the inspector pointed out and corrected (like where certain items should be, etc.) that was in accordance to how the last inspector told us to have it. Make sense? Last inspector told us one thing, this one told us another. Kinda frustrating.

And yes, I know what the proper washing and drying procedures are. It was the first things taught in culinary school. But according to my boss, I get paid too much to wash dishes and the teenagers working the counter or the dishwasher/assistant baker are the ones that end up doing them. Incorrectly too. I wonder how it would go over if I suggested hanging signs outlining proper washing guidelines?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:19am
post #19 of 26

I like signs that "magically" appear....Wash, rinse, sanitize.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:17am
post #20 of 26

I have a yellow sticker that the health department gave me that says WASH RINSE SANITIZE. I am not required to post their ugly sticker, and my own made up. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll pop it in the mail.

redcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redcherry Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:37am
post #21 of 26

I agree with my friends, it is possible in commercial places?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 4:09pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcherry

I agree with my friends, it is possible in commercial places?

Is what possible in commercial places?

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 7:23pm
post #23 of 26

So, this is sort of related, but what ratio of bleach/water do you use to sanitize your dishes? And do you always air dry? Wouldn't some of the dishes rust if you left them to dry?

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 7:41pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

Go on line to your states dept of health and look it up and print it out for your boss. You are supposed to put soap in the first sink, plain water in the middle and bleach in the third than air dry!!! If he still doesn't listen show him the greasy dishes and ask him if he wants you to use them???

Better yet, tell him to use them! icon_twisted.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 9:18pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

So, this is sort of related, but what ratio of bleach/water do you use to sanitize your dishes? And do you always air dry? Wouldn't some of the dishes rust if you left them to dry?

ServSafe says 50-110 ppm (you can buy tester strips very cheaply). It really is a small amount that is needed. For tools that might rust, you can always pop them in the oven to try them off, providing there are no plastic parts. If there are, you put them in front of a fan or in a convection oven with just the fan on.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm
post #26 of 26

This isn't bakery related, but I have wine tastings at our stores and the wine glasses have to be washed-rinsed-then sanitized. Thus the requirement that we have a 3 bowl sink. All we wash is glasses so we bought a used bar sink and had it mounted on higher legs. The BoH guy always makes sure we have the little disinfectant packets. We don't use liquid bleach. We also have to have a spray bottle with the "bleach" solution to wipe down the bartop. That could also be used for stainless steel counters in a commercial kitchen and refrigerators. I'm sure the same BoH rules apply for most food consumption operations in a particular state.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%