My Damask Stencil Is Pulling Off My Butter Cream!!

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 13 Mar 2012 , 1:14am by ddaigle

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 8

I use a butter/crisco combo butter cream and cake had been iced and sat overnight in the frig. It was very dry & crusted cake. I tried to work quickly, not know what to expect when I pulled the stencil off. Everytime, I pulled some white icing off. I see flawless damask cakes all over the internet...mine was not! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
ddaigle Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 8

Could be several different things:
1. Sounds like the icing you are stenciling with is too thick - when you pull away the stencil, the icing you stenciled with us sticking to the stencil and pulling away the icing underneath too.

2. If your stencil is sticking to the icing it could be the stencil was damp

3. Try freezing the cake and doing on section at a time and freeze between sections to firm it up again

Good luck!

ddaigle Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 8

Icing wasn't too thick, but after the first panel and I rinsed it off....it was not completely dry....but it pulled a little icing on the very first panel when the stencil was dry. I think I may only do this in the future on fondant covered cakes and stick to the edible icing damask for butter cream cakes.

ddaigle Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 8

I've read to rinse off stencil after each use. Is it impossible as I think to completly dry that thing after use? My towel kept getting stuck in the intricate cuts, so I was just patting it dry.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

Debbie, what frosting are you using for the stencil? I stencil with a SMBC and I apply it to a SMBC that has been chilled. Both are very light and smooth. I've never had a problem with stenciling. I hold the stencil very lightly against the cake side, then I use a plastic scapula to apply the stenciling icing over the top of the stencil. If I want the stencil pattern to have depth and definition, I just don't scrape all the icing off the stencil before lifting the stencil from the cake. I rinse the stencil between applications and blot dry with a paper towel (you're right that a dishtowel rubbed over the stencil just gets caught on the delicate cuts).
good luck

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

Maybe you could also try lightly dusting your stencil with cornstarch or confectioners sugar to make sure it is completely dry before stencilling the next bit of cake.

ddaigle Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8

I use the butter cream dream recipe for my icing and I made sure it wasn't when stenciling. I put it in a piping bag with a #12 tip and wished I'd had 3 hands. I held the stencil with one hand (I think I pressed too hard) and after I make a circle with the icing, I was able to let go of the stencil and just kinda hold it at the bottom. I may have scraped too hard when spreading it around.

I am going to try some things differently next time including blotting it with paper towel. It was definitely not completely dry in between each use.

I am just open to any and all suggestions. I've decorated hundreds of cakes, and this technique kicked my caboose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%