Scaled Down...

Decorating By jena2727 Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 5:21pm by jena2727

jena2727 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

I made this cake for my daughters birthday and I now have a client requesting this cake but as a single cake for their daughter. They are getting a large sheet cake from the grocery store for the rest of the party. I used a 6 & 8 on this one and just can't figure out what I would do to make it small for a child! I need help!!

I so wish I was better at ideas, I can execute any picture I see perfectly but to come up with my own ideas just doesn't happen! icon_cry.gif
LL

6 replies
Jennifer353 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 7

What do you mean by single cake just the strawberry? (cute cake by the way!)
Did they say how big they want it? Not meaning to be smart but if its just a single portion they want a cupcake would work

One other thing from your post, if they have store sheet cakes which taste nasty how will people at the party know you didnt make them? If people are cooing over your cake and the host says you made it and then they eat nasty cake, wont they think it was made by you too?
Do you offer sheet cakes?

labelle24 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 7

people do this kind of thing to me all the time. I am assuming she wants a "smash cake" type this for only her daughter. I would explain that it is impossible to do a 2 tiered cake for less than 10 people. She is welcome to purchase the cake, but that is the minimum serving size, and I would charge her appropriately, at least $50. People just don't get it, I love when people send me a picture of an elaborate fondant cake and say I want this, but I don't want any fondant...same idea, that just don't understand how things work....

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 7

You could do a cupcake on a 4" or 6". But still you need to charge a lot for that. You are charging for the time and the photo-op for the parents and family. They want a really cute cake for all of the photos. Remember what you are making and how much time it will take and charge appropriately. If it takes more than an hour to decorate, you can't charge enough. That assumes the baking time will be lumped in with other work.

jena2727 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

One other thing from your post, if they have store sheet cakes which taste nasty how will people at the party know you didnt make them? If people are cooing over your cake and the host says you made it and then they eat nasty cake, wont they think it was made by you too?
Do you offer sheet cakes?

Good point! I didn't even think about that! Hmmm.... This person is actually the SIL of one of my closest friends however they do not speak and this potential client has no clue that I am a friend. My friend told me not to make the cake for her so maybe I should just say I can't make it that small and would not want my cake next to store bought cakes but in a nice way? She contacted me through FBamd I have tried multiple times to get her to send me a private message to discuss the details and she continues to try and discuss on my page. Of course FB won't allow a business page to initiate a message.

Thinking I am not going to pursue this client!
Thanks for the help!!

labelle24 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 7

[quote="jena2727"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

She contacted me through FBamd I have tried multiple times to get her to send me a private message to discuss the details and she continues to try and discuss on my page. Of course FB won't allow a business page to initiate a message.

Thinking I am not going to pursue this client!
Thanks for the help!!

If you upgrade your business page to the new timeline format it allows people to contact you privately through the business page thumbs_up.gif

jena2727 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by labelle24

If you upgrade your business page to the new timeline format it allows people to contact you privately through the business page thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!! I have that set up but the client has to message me first, still very annoying if you have some one interested and you can't just message them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%