Merckens Chocolate Wafers For Chocolate Curls?

Decorating By Horrorxgirl Updated 15 Mar 2012 , 8:37pm by jgifford

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 5:13am
post #1 of 4

I know pretty much next to nothing about chocolate work, but the wedding cake I'm doing for May is chocolate cake with chocolate icing and I would like to do chocolate curls on each tier. Would I be able to use the Merckens wafers to do this? I plan on making white/dark marbleized curls. Is this doable with Merckens?

3 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 7:47am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

I think the only way that you can do this is to:
Melt the chocolates and then combine the 2 and make a swirl like pattern, then let it harden together in a block form. After they have hardened then, you can shave the block to make your chocolate curls.

If you don't make into a block, it's going to very hard for you to make chocolate curls. the wafers are entirely too too small to make curls.

Maybe others have a solution for you as well.

HTH

Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 4

I was thinking of using a technique I saw on youtube where the chocolate is melted down with shortening and spread out to dry, then scraped with a metal spatula, so that they would be fatter curls. I just wasn't sure if the merckens would be the right consistency for it or not.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorxgirl

I was thinking of using a technique I saw on youtube where the chocolate is melted down with shortening and spread out to dry, then scraped with a metal spatula, so that they would be fatter curls. I just wasn't sure if the merckens would be the right consistency for it or not.

Anything that will melt then re-solidify will work - - merckens, chocolate/vanilla chips, almond bark. Just don't wait until it's too hard or it will crumble and flake when you try to scrape it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%