Customer Is Making Me Worry A Little!!! (Vent)

Business By Karema Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 5:00pm by Karema

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:41pm
post #31 of 34

So glad it worked. Letter sizing drives me nuts tooicon_smile.gif

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 9:20pm
post #32 of 34

You did a good job of getting things under control, but I think next time you could avoid a whole lot of aggravation by taking control at the beginning!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 2:57am
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

You did a good job of getting things under control, but I think next time you could avoid a whole lot of aggravation by taking control at the beginning!

I agree. This problem, as with so many "war stories" posted on this site, was a problem of your own making. If you want to be treated like a business professional, you need to act like one from the first interaction you have with a customer, and it shouldn't make a single bit of difference if it's someone who works with your husband or a stranger. If anything, you need to work even harder to maintain a professional business relationship with people you know.

I've done many, many orders for friends, and current and former co-workers. Every one of them knows that they'll receive a detailed written order confirmation with all flavors, colors, dimensions, designs, delivery details, etc., listed, and a statement of the charges and the date payment is due. If we're not sure about the design, I either draw a sketch or send sample pictures until we're both satisfied we're on the same page. If I don't make six of one design and 9 of another, I tell them I can't do that when they request it. I don't wait until the last minute. If they can't bring payment to me, they mail it.

If you act like a competent business professional, you're more likely to be treated that way, even by difficult or confused customers because they know they can't screw with you, and they have confidence that you're in control and they're going to get a presentable product. Know what your expectations are and communicate them up-front.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 5:00pm
post #34 of 34

When I usually take an order I usually write everythng down and I meet with the client if possible. I also ask them to send me a picture of something that they would like. If I can replicate I will. The only reason why this was so difficult is bc she waited until the last minute to order! She aske my husband weeks in advance but then only called me a week before and she didn't know exactly what she wanted. I know that I've learned that I will not take an order unless the event is 3 weeks away and they have paid 2 weeks in advance!!! Thanks for all the advice an I will definately look at the for next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%