Modeling Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats!?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 1:40am by cakeyouverymuch

mystsparkle Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

Im trying to replicate this cake...someone had said maybe rice crispy treats..If i go with modeling chocolate for the tree, (thinking wrapped around either rice crispy treats or a dowel) how would i go about doing the top? just more modeling chocolate? will it just sit up there? The wave maybe rice crispy treats wrapped in fondant? Not sure. But really..when you do sculptures like this, with items inside that ARENT edible (dowels/wires/lolipop sticks etc...) do customers really end up eating them? do you tell them they r edible? thoughts? Thanks!!

3 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

I would do the whole tree out of the rice cereal treats. I would to it in two parts and join the two with a skewer. I would wrap the tree trunk in modelling chocolate because it is the medium that will most easily take to shaping like tree bark. I world cover the top in either candy clay or fondant then pipe the leaves to give it some texture. I would do the wave out of either a mix of fondant and gum paste, or fondant with more than a bit of tylose added to it so that it will hold its shape without slumping. I would mold the wave shape over a pop bottle and use skewers to hold it to the cake. I would pipe the white capping on the wave and use brush embroidery to "fade" it into the blue.

But that's just what I would do. HTH

mystsparkle Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 1:32am
post #3 of 4

oh gosh! thank you so much! those ideas are awesome. Maybe I can pull it off! Thank you Thank you!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 1:40am
post #4 of 4

Don't forget to post a pic and let us know how it turns out. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%