Powdered Shortening, Butter,milk & Eggs..anyone Use Them

Baking By Ponygirl1 Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 8:50pm by cakeyouverymuch

Ponygirl1 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 2

I'm interested in using these dried or powdered products and would like to know if any of you have used them and if so, how do you use them, how do they work out (results) and how do you like the way they taste after baking?
I want to make some Master Mixes for cakes, muffins, pancakes etc. for long term storage and also just for the ease and speed of it all.
Thanks so much for any and all information you can give, oh and also, if you have or do use them, do you have recipes that you can share?

1 reply
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 2

I use only powdered milk (and dried potato flakes) when I bake bread and the results are fine (dare I say superior), and powdered milk when I bake bannock with superior results. But I've also tried using powdered milk for cake baking and find it has a negative effect on both flavor and texture. At least it does so in terms of my own recipes. Yours may be different. It may have something to do with the fact that it is skim milk powder as opposed to 2% for the liquid milk resulting in a failure to acheive the correct balance of fat in the recipe. On the other hand I have had success with using powdered buttermilk in my chocolate cake recipe which is normally quite finicky. I suggest experimentation as the only way to find out how your recipes are going to respond to the powdered equivalents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%