Cake Tasting For Just A Party Cake????

Decorating By cckim Updated 10 Mar 2012 , 2:12pm by cckim

cckim Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 8

I have someone that wants a cake for a birthday party that serves 50. She asked about a cake tasting, does anyone do that for cakes other than wedding cakes??? If not, how do I say no?? Kinda new to the business part of cakes so I'm not really sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

7 replies
labelle24 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 8

I have people ask for this from time to time, I explain that tastings are only included in wedding cake orders but if she would like a formal tasting there is a charge of $35. Or she is welcome to purchase a dozen cupcakes (all the same flavor) for $24. This is usually enough to make them feel a little silly for wanting a tasting when they realize it's not normal, but you are relaying it politely.

MerlotCook Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

I do a free tasting for all cakes over 100 servings. For this I would charge $25. You tell her you only do tastings for XXX servings and that you will gladly (insert here what you will do- charge for a tasting, sell her some cupcakes, a 6" cake, whatever!).

carmijok Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 8

At the bakery I worked for we would offer a dozen variety cupcake flavors for them to buy. But it would have to be our choice of flavors (i.e. what we had in our freezer as extras). If they wanted a specific flavor then we'd just do a regular small cake or cupcake order. But they still paid regardless. No 'tastings' for small party cakes.

cakelady2266 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 8

I only offer tastings for wedding or anniversary cakes. No tastings for party cakes.

KoryAK Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 8

Tastings here are $35. If it's for a wedding cake, that cost will be applied toward the cake. If it's for any other event, it's not.

lorieleann Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 8

i do tastings for $20, which can be applied to the cost of any cake with more than 100 servings. I don't discriminate if it is a big wedding cake or a big birthday or big anniversary cake.

cckim Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, it helps alot and I appreciate it! Love this site!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%