What's Your Favorite Store Bought Fondant?

Decorating By Rach80 Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm by labelle24

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 6

Hey all! I am making a wedding cake at the end of the month and I want to try a pre-made fondant. I've always make my own MMF, but I've heard from others that the store brands can be better to work with. So, opinions please! What is your favorite brand to use?
Thanks!

5 replies
labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 6

I have always used satin ice, it's affordable and very easy to work with.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

And globalsugarart.com has it on sale!

ToTheMax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToTheMax Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

If you're in a crunch for time and can't wait for shipping, I found the Duff brand at Michaels goo too. It comes in vibrant colors molds well and covers cake easily without tears. Good Luck

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

I am going with Satin Ice. Used it years ago and ok but just got new batches in fall and I LOVE it. It's not rock hard and when I get it like that cause I left it out I microwave it 10-30 seconds to warm up and be able to knead it. The big plus is the taste... they have the vanilla buttercream frosting flavour for white fondant that I dye. It is good! ( I normally hate taste of fondant).

Wilton's is great if you have to cover a dark cake and put it on thick and it will stay smooth but the taste is gag gag.... they really need to do something about the taste. However I used some Wilton's to help stiffen my own fondant that I made that wasn't quite stiff enough. I kneaded in about 20% wilton to 80% home made fondant and it really improved it to be firm enough.

If you ever have the money or it's for you go order the Albert Uster Inc. massa fondant and their chocolate one tastes just like a tootsie roll!! Beautiful to work with, tastes great but pricey.

labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 6

just purchased 50 pounds, thanks for the tip subaru!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%