Can Someone Review My List Please?

Lounge By arodbabe20 Updated 11 Mar 2012 , 9:54pm by Claire138

arodbabe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arodbabe20 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 5

I have made a list of supplies that I may need to start making and decorating cakes. I want to start practicing fondant and buttercream decorations so I am not sure what's a good kit to start doing this that is not too expensive. Either way,these are the basic things I believe I need and if you guys can add or subtract what's needed or not please,I would reallllly appreciate it.

Here it is:
Stand mixer(or hand mixer,not sure yet)
Baking pans (I'm thinking 9 inch round and square to start)
Cake smoother
Rolling pin(for the fondant)
Measuring cups and spoons
Spatula
Wilton 50 piece or 101 piece decorating set(I think it's not for fondant decorations so not sure if I'll spend $90 if it's limited to just buttercream)
And some cutout shapes for the fondant.

These are just supplies,ingredients aren't really concerning me right now.Please give me some advice. I don't know what to do with the decorating part of the supplies?

I POSTED ON WRONG FORUM,DON"T KNOW HOW TO MOVE

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 5

A mixer would be good, a stand mixer is the best but sometimes expensive.

I have bought some of those Wilton sets over the years and I never use all the pieces. I mostly use giant tips for cupcake swirls, and the regular round tips 2-10 (don't need one of each number, though, just an assortment), and some regular star tips, and a ruffle tip like 104.

I don't use a fondant smoother, just my hands. You do need an offset spatula for smoothing buttercream though.

In addition to your list, you need a pastry brush for dusting with cornstarch, some piping bags (I use disposables), kitchen scissors and a wheel cutter (a pizza wheel or smaller pastry wheel). It would be nice to have a cake lifter and baker's blade, but you can manage without those.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:03am
post #3 of 5

Turntable.

arodbabe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arodbabe20 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 5

thanks guys. Forgot I posted this here and I just looked at my replies now. Texas Rose,I forgot to mention some of those. I def need the bags. The tips I was considering this little kit I saw on ebay that brings 25 since I don't know exactly which ones I'll need to start up. Where do u guys suggest I go to buy?? I've seen a ton of things on ebay for really cheap but if I wanted to get it the same day,I'd have to go somewhere locally. Michael's isn't exactly the cheapest I've seen but I heard they have coupons. I live in Miami,fl btw.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5

Magic Line pans. I can't stress enough how worth it they are. I was using a mix of other pans (wiltons included) until I finally decided to treat myself. My only regret was not buying them sooner. You will need 2 of each just bc it is so much easier that way than cutting a cake in half (not my strong point).
I have 2 fondant smoothers, I use only one for round cakes and 2 for square cakes to help with the edges.
1M tip(s) for cup cakes.
A good rolling pin (I use a heavy one)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%